Any tips for starting a new community?

I’m installed and logged in as admin :+1:

I want to focus on finding the right people to discourse with.

In your experience, what are good ways and where are good places to drop your community link?

Also, I don’t want to spend too much time on technical functionality, but what are the key things to add (gmail login) quality of life things that help retain people.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Micah,
I would recommend reading widely on Rich's Online Community Blog | FeverBee – in my experience dropping your community link around the place is not the way to go. You need a solid audience well before you begin the community. You need a laser focused concept and you need to be solving a problem for people.

8 Likes

Unless I’m misunderstanding the question, you can put your forum up on Discourse Discover.

4 Likes

For dropping your link, this would very dependent on your community. I’d recommend mapping out your ecosystem (who, what and where is relevant to your work) and looking for ways and places to get involved in.

You could take interesting ideas you know of, or have found across the ecosystem and then start those conversations within your Discourse. If you lack an audience, consider wording things in favour of SEO.

It’s very easy to get classed as spammy when dropping links, so be careful!

4 Likes

Thanks!!
I like the map idea, map out where potential like minds.
But like you said, people don’t like and won’t just click a random link.

1 Like