Assignment comments repeated on subsequent reassignments

I’ve started making occasional assignment comments when I assign a topic to a team. Yesterday I noted that in a subsequent assignment to an individual, my comment was repeated.

“Huh. Weird” …

Then I noticed it again today so I did a test and realized that when you reassign, the comment box is pre-populated with the previous comment:

Selection_200

For a result like this (if the assigner is in a hurry / not paying attention / …)

2 Likes

Yes this is a tricky one @nat.

I am not sure what the right thing is to do here.

Simplest thing I guess it to “clear” the notes section if you click an avatar, or if you select a different assignee.

We could I guess have 2 options? 1 for editing another for reassign?

Not sure, but agree it is somewhat confusing.

1 Like

We had a discussion internally, and since we use the assign feature a lot, some folks came to an agreement:

The assign note should be related to what to do for the assignment e.g. “Please do X this way, then inform someone about it”. This way, if we change the assignee, the next assignee will still get the same note on what they need to do. Our folks also mentioned there may be tendencies to put non-assignment related comments into the note, rather than a separate post, so a little discipline is needed there.

The problem with clearing the notes is sometimes we have the original assigner writing details about what to do for the assignment. And since there may be many posts in between re-assignments, it’s troublesome to scroll back up to find out what the note was so that they can re-insert it if we cleared it automatically.

2 Likes

And my comments are things like

Ann: Assigning this to X team under the assumption that you want to handle this type of thing, just like Y team does when it’s their area of expertise.

And then when the team meets to triage you’ll see team member ‘Joe’ assign to team member ‘Jane’ with the same comment

Joe: Assigning this to X team under the assumption that you want to handle this type of thing, just like Y team does when it’s their area of expertise.

1 Like

For real context, here’s me assigning to the team of experts

And here’s an expert inadvertently repeating my comment when he self-assigned:

We’ve had some internal conversation and I’ve pushed a change which removes the assignment note when reassigning. I also deployed the change so you should see it too.

Also you’d get the :pencil2: for each assignment. Turned out to be a super easy addition.

Thanks for all your feedback!

4 Likes

Oh thank you! I was just coming to report that this seems to be causing confusion internally for us. So glad to see this change!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.