Author Badge for Topic Posts

:information_source: Summary Add badge to topic owner’s posts.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository https://github.com/VaperinaDEV/author-badge-for-topic-posts
:question: Install Guide How to install a theme or theme component
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

Hello :wave:

With this theme component you can add badge label to the topic owner’s posts. It is really useful on larger topics because you can see clearly who is the Original Poster.

Filter

The structure of the component, it is possible to target the mobile and desktop views separately. In addition, it is possible to target each category separately and thereby customize which author badges appear in which categories and views.

It can be possible with a theme setting:

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 16.56.37

You have to add 3 parameters to make workable the component.

1. view-type

• desktop
    • mobile
  2. category-name

• this is the category, what you want to target e.g. “support”
  3. author-label

• the badge label e.g. “Author”

Example:

Since there is usually less space in these places on mobile sometimes it’s great to add shorter version on mobile.

Now I set up an author badge to the discourse category which on desktop will shows the “Author” text and on mobile the “OP” text.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.01.55

Ok, but what if I want to use different text in the other categories? Do they have to be set separately for each? Of course not.

If you leave empty it view-type or category-name or both…it will apply globally without override the existing ones.

Example:

I’ve added 2 more badges which uses the “Original Poster” text to the other categories on desktop and use “Director” text in videos category on both desktop and mobile view.

For this, just simply leave empty these sections with
typing semicolon without space

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.18.43

An other example if you want to use only the e.g. “Author” for all categories and and all view types. Use the following:
Two semicolon (without spaces) and Author

;;Author

Places

Let’s see which places you can add badges…
You can select from 3-3 places in theme settings separately for desktop and mobile view.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.29.13

These two settings :arrow_down_small:

Desktop

author badge location desktop

1. below-user-avatar
  2. after-user-names
  3. below-user-names

below-user-avatar (limited space: it uses the topic avatar width) (sticky) better to chose a shorter label

after-user-names

below-user-names

Mobile

author badge location mobile

1. below-user-avatar
  2. after-user-names
  3. above-user

below-user-avatar (limited space: it uses the topic avatar width) better to chose a shorter label

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.40.42

after-user-names (limited space) better to chose a shorter label

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.43.25

above-user

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.44.16

Customization

Finally let’s see some customization options.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.46.05

Here you can customize the author badge like colors, font styles, corners…
For example:

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 17.52.42
This one uses the following values.
These color variables may not use the same colors on your site, it depends the color scheme you have.

It’s up to you what kind of cool author badge you make. :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

I predict a new member of the Discourse team in the future, everything you produce is just brilliant Don! :beers:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this!

1 Like

it didn’t work with me :confused:

2 Likes

Did you think of enabling the component in your theme(s)? :slight_smile:

1 Like

of corse !!

Hello :wave:

Can you clarify this a little more? Can you share screenshot about the component settings? That would also be cool if you share your site url (if it’s public) with the activated component Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

hello sorry for late there was issue with my yml file … so
this is the screen

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I checked it on arabic language and it works for me, except some margin issue…:thinking: I will fix these on RTL. I merged it UX: Fix RTL compatibility by VaperinaDEV · Pull Request #1 · VaperinaDEV/author-badge-for-topic-posts · GitHub

Can you share screenshot about a topic?
Do you use custom theme or any component which modified that area?

Note: The author badge isn’t appear on the first post in the topic.

1 Like

still same :frowning:
im using theme from theme stelpolva
and im using Post Badge component.

I just tested with these, works as expected.

Just a reminder: I am no longer maintaining this theme, new components may not be compatible with it in the future…

:frowning: sad news

I checked your site and it seems the component works fine…

but not on the first post what you shared

Just s note if your viewing the first post the “Author badge” does not show. .It shows on the the subsequent posts in the topic. As everyone knows the first post is the op\author. This messed me up initially. :wink: But in my flimsy defense it was 3am. lol

EDiT: See Author here already beat me to the answer. :vulcan_salute::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like