-bash ...command not found. Email setup Bitnami

Can anyone help. Trying to setup email in digital ocean with putty but after copying & pasting this
smtp_address = “smtp.mandrillapp.com
smtp_port = 587
smtp_domain = your_domain.com
smtp_user_name = ‘your_email_registered_at_mandrill’
smtp_password = ‘any_mandrill_api_key_in_your_account’
smtp_enable_start_tls = true
authentication = login
enable_starttls_auto = true

with my info all I get is “-bash: … : command not found.”
At my wits end pls help

Is that the full error trace?

Sorry total noob here. Where do I find the error trace.

Are these commands intended for the putty/digi ocean interface or the discourse app itself?
Thanks

I’m trying to follow these directions as I type them directly into the digi ocean console…it should be pretty straight forward, but I just can’t seem to get anywhere with them. Is there a command line that should start this of i.e sudo…?

Directions: To configure SMTP settings using and external SMTP server, you have to add the lines indicated below to you installdir/apps/discourse/htdocs/config/discourse.conf, for instance, after the line:
The required lines to configure SMTP are the following:
smtp_address = “SMTP_HOSTNAME”
smtp_port = SMTP_PORT
smtp_domain = example.com
smtp_user_name = ‘SMTP_USER’
smtp_password = ‘SMTP_PASSWORD’

Ah I see what you’re doing. Are you pasting those lines directly into the command line?

Following this guide might help:

1 Like

Hi yes I am. I should state I sent through Bitnami so it seems your above directions are different.
Here’s what I’m copy pasting into the console line for line as the instructions say here https://wiki.bitnami.com/Applications/BitNami_Discourse

installdir/apps/discourse/htdocs/config/discourse.conf
smtp_address = "SMTP_HOSTNAME"
smtp_port = SMTP_PORT
smtp_domain = example.com
smtp_user_name = 'SMTP_USER’
smtp_password = 'SMTP_PASSWORD’

What could be amiss? I wish this was more user friendly. I’ve tried everything and need this working like yesterday.
Thanks

Has bitnami migrated their setup to the docker config? If not, it’s going to be hard to get support here.

I will say that the lines which begin smtp_ are to be pasted into a the discourse.conf file, not entered in a prompt.

If you really Need It Done, Discourse offers a one-time setup for $99 - https://payments.discourse.org/buy/ (It won’t be using bitnami tho)

1 Like

I would suggest following the official Discourse guide :smile:

$99 Oye we are not all Trumps :neutral_face: , plus this is a non profit and like the last step.

If I could only locate the darn discourse.conf file. I have a feeling the installdir path might be the culprit.

Wondering if it should be something else.

Is there a reason why you would need to follow the bitnami guide rather than the official supported version given that you’re using a digital ocean droplet? :confused:

Is there a reason why you would need to follow the bitnami guide rather than the official supported version given that you’re using a digital ocean droplet?

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to apply after trying to follow it. I already have discourse installed, not using docker I think. so can’t pick up the directions from app.yml or copy app.yml part because I don’t have that folder or file.

Thanks for your attempts at helping I finally got support from the Bitnami folks.
Pls for goodness sake can we go back to UI’s that don’t require degrees to operate and instructions that are accurate? Pero why do I need to see the backend Anyways?!
OK time for a bagel.

I miss Steve jobs :sob:

If anyone is in the same predicament here’s a link to my resolution and how to access discourse.conf file.

You could pay Discourse to host it for you and you wouldn’t need to see the backend at all :wink:

Not sure if that argument holds much weight and yeah maybe if the cost was reasonable but with the price of your primary hosting, plus themes + every other cost to run a site plus this…? you see how it quickly becomes unsustainable.

Hopefully they figure out how to make it affordable and people friendly,otherwise like all else someone else will come with the 2.0 and do so thus rendering it like blockbuster…Yeah remember them :smirk:

It definitely scores 9.5 for features but 0 for user implementation.

Do you think that some of the problem may have to do with the fact that
“Bitnami Container Images for Docker” are Beta?

https://bitnami.com/docker

1 Like

well “reasonable” and “affordable” is subjective isn’t it? For instance, Apple has great products but it also come at a pretty hefty cost if you ask me.

Anyway, I’m sure you would have a much better experience if you followed the official installation guide :smiley:

2 Likes

Bitnami installs are not supported due to limited staff time, sorry. We can only support the Docker install here.

1 Like