Best way for new members to introduce themselves

Should I create it as a Category that is fix or just as a Fix Topic?

What is your opinion.

1 Like

Check out Neo4j forum, they might be doing something you like.

1 Like

Looks great.
So people need to create a new topic when they introduce themselves.

1 Like

Not just a topic with no category but a topic in the Category: General and subcategory Introduce Yourself (link).

Don’t ask me the details of how they did it.

If you ask here I am sure others could give you specifics.

2 Likes

I think I can figure it out. Many thanks!

2 Likes

We just have a category where new users can introduce themselves. It’s creatively called: ‘Introduce Yourself’ :+1:

9 Likes

That is what I did… and it works great :+1:

3 Likes

I joined https://community.infiniteflight.com/ via my GitHub account and can not find the category “Introduce Yourself”.

It’s not on that forum. I meant my forum :+1:

3 Likes

This one: https://forum-aviationforumcommunity-6985.nodechef.com/t/introduce-yourself/96

1 Like

A single “introduce yourself” topic can also work well, if it is linked from places that new users will be able to find it (site banner, or the welcome PM, etc).

4 Likes

I’m proud of our legacy “Introducing Ourselves” thread that dates back to 2006 before we used Discourse - it imported perfectly from the previous board software. We just maintain a post instead of a whole category.

I edited the text of the Trust Level 1 welcome email to include a link to that thread and encouragement to add to it.

The only caution is that it’s not a good idea to let topics grow indefinitely (who will even read all that?) – but as long as the number of replies isn’t increasing too much each year, that should be fine.

It depends on your new user signup volume and how many volunteer to post in the introduction topic. I’m sure on most sites a single topic for introductions would work fine for a long time.

2 Likes

Oh, definitely. We’re not high traffic and perhaps have maybe five or six replies a month to it with some bursts during events.

2 Likes

There is an old (but still relevant) discussion about this topic at Welcome or introduction topics - Managing Communities - FeverBee Experts

2 Likes

I like the system I set up for the legal empowerment network. The moderators review and onboard new members, and every two weeks write a post welcoming the latest additions. Like this:

6 Likes

That is the slickest way I have seen. IMHO it is leading the pack based on what I have seen on other sites.

3 Likes

Yea, that is cool! We link the Intro Yourself topic in the Welcome PM message.