As shown by this screenshot of discourse on my 14" Thinkpad:
- There’s a lot of whitespace on both left and right of the topic. It’s wasted screen real estate.
- The height of the topic gets reduced quite significantly by the compose window. So, it becomes harder to read through the author’s post, while you prepare your reply.
Instead, what could have been done, is to:
- Move the compose window on the right hand side, with the preview window below the compose window.
- Move the post to the left, so it’s right next to the browser border (while the compose is right next to the right hand side browser border).
- This allows the original post to be visible in full height, while utilizing the unused white space for composing a new post.
I always find composing replies on long posts annoying. I feel this or any other solution which tries to utilize the screen estate better would be pretty useful.