"Bookmarks" view as Default Home Page

In my Preferences, for Interface, there’s a control for the Default Home Page. Is it possible to make that include the Bookmarks view?

…here in Meta, in a community where I’m just a regular user, and in my community where I’m a full admin, “Bookmarks” is not an option for the Def Home Page setting.

I think it’s an extremely useful view and I’ve love to land there rather than always having to type ‘g’ ‘b’ on every Discourse site. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Some of our users asked for this option too.

3 Likes

There is a theme component that allow admins to choose the default homepage for all users, Allow Arbitrary Homepage (by Jay Pfaffman), but I’m not sure if users can choose the homepage from the user profile.

Also see User-specific Discourse home page

2 Likes

Actually agree with first two Posters. Providing the choice natively would make sense?

If admin has included Bookmarks discovery in the Top Menu setting in basic setup then to me it’s logical to include it in the user interface options? The two lists should be identical?

PR welcome?

5 Likes

Yeah, agreed.

It would be great for an admin to select a set of bookmarks as the default home page.

Great idea.

4 Likes

Actually I initially liked that but if you think about it, it doesn’t make sense. How can an admin select everyone’s bookmarks? They are individual to each user … imagine an admin deciding which users bookmarks appeared for each user? I can’t imagine it.

The idea is not to select others bookmarks.

The idea is to have a homepage of bookmarks (featured topics) selected by admin(s). If you don’t like the term “bookmark”, you can call it “featured topics”. It is the same idea. A homepage can be selected which is composed of “selected topics” by the admins (versus the current limited set of options).

This idea, as I originally understood it, does not effect bookmarks by users (or anyone). So maybe the term “featured topics” is less confusing?

This is what you stated. Perhaps I misinterpreted? It seems like you are proposing the admin is selecting the set.

I thought this (further) explained it :slight_smile:

The idea (in my. mind) was not to select others bookmarks.

The idea is to have a homepage of bookmarks (featured topics) selected by admin(s). If you don’t like the term “bookmark”, you can call it “featured topics”. It is the same idea. A homepage can be selected which is composed of “selected topics” by the admins (versus the current limited set of options).

This idea, as I originally understood it, does not effect bookmarks by users (or anyone). So maybe the term “featured topics” is less confusing?

Is that not clear (now)? If not, I can explain more if unclear. Actually, I am not really “wed” to this idea, it just sounded useful for admins to be able to have a page of their own topics they want to feature on the home pages without “pinning” them.

Maybe it’s not a good idea? I do not want to hijack this thread, to be honest.

It looks to me like modifying the existing “user-specific home page” feature might be the “easy” way to do it.

What do you mean by this ? Is there a shortcut I don’t know about ?

In your idea, if the topics are selected by the admin and if it’s the “default” page, pinning would indeed achieve approximately the same thing. I understood OP (+first answer) was/were talking of a view where each user would see his OWN bookmarks (or did I misunderstood ?)

1 Like

Press “?” in any Discourse community… ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI I’m about to submit a PR to support Bookmarks Discovery route as users preferred home, but having some interesting issues with the significant tests I’ve added to cover it which I’ll try and work with a team member to resolve. I’ll keep you updated.

3 Likes

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/10597

Currently trundling through CI checks …

6 Likes

This was merged. :tada: Enjoy!

(thanks for the team’s time involved in review)

6 Likes

Scroll up read my initial post first, please…

Today, I now have this ability on several Discourse sites, but still not available here on Meta? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess this is OK @sam this gets us one step closer to “you define your own custom homepage, which is this specific category plus this specific category plus this specific tag and that’s all”.

Tricky, cause we are moving away from the topic list bookmarks page to the /my/activity/bookmarks route. This is not technically a topic list anymore, it is a special UI.

Not sure I support adding this as default home page.

2 Likes

Fair. I support the spirit of it, perhaps this isn’t the right implementation at the current time though.

2 Likes