Default homepage that the user selects

Searched for this, and only found a thread from when we were all kids.

I’m realizing that as my community grows, users need to dictate their own default “feed” (i.e. homepage, or basically, when they click the logo). For example, some are NFL football fans only, and only want to follow football, and not see baseball topics. But since it’s grown into a full-fledged sports community, this has become increasingly difficult to manage.

In my head, I’d perceive this to be a setting that the user dictates in preferences …

Where an option would be “Choose a Category” or “Choose a Tag”.

I apologize if I missed another thread on this. Could be my use-case just isn’t broad enough, but I’d suspect in larger communities, we have some users interested in curating a homepage to suit their interests.

Thoughts?

1 Like

By the way, I’m aware there’s a ‘muted’ setting. It just doesn’t work in this case.

I have ‘MLB’ as a category and ‘Red Sox’ as a tag that’s limited to that category. Which means if someone only wants to follow the ‘Yankees,’ they’d have to manually mute all 29 other tags.

Would perhaps putting all tags on a default mute list, and then using something like the custom wizard plugin to have them choose which ones to watch work?

Hmmmmm … that could be a fascinating workaround.

Not the cleanest, but could be an interim solution!

This might help:

4 Likes

Fantastic. Setting a tag might take it to the level we need, but regardless, both of these suggested solutions gets us most of the way there!

4 Likes

You can also set different homepages per group with Custom Homepage for Groups

3 Likes

That’s linked from the plugin

2 Likes

I love this feature request and it is something we discussed internally

I think the vision of where we would like to get to is to allow any /filter be a home page

Filter opens the door to lots of wonderful things:

• A combination of tags and categories
  • Hot but unseen
  • Unseen in specific tags

And so on…

9 Likes

This post had me at “the co-founder of Discourse said he loved my feature idea.”

Anyway, all this means is that I’ll complain after any subsequent release if it isn’t included. :slight_smile:

2 Likes