Broken Page Load Navigating Discourse with Tor Browser on "Safest" Security Setting (NoScript Active)

I’ve noticed a consistent problem when browsing a Discourse forum using the Tor Browser (TB). Specifically, when the security slider is set to its “safest” level, which turns on NoScript, there are instances where page loading encounters issues.

Happening here on meta.discourse.org.

The problem is frequently reproducible, though not every single time.

This is probably also happening with NoScript enabled in other browsers.

Please refer to the attached video for a clear demonstration of this bug.

(I can’t upload the video directly, so I’ve uploaded it here)

I’m not sure this is actually a bug because Tor Browser is not in the list of supported browsers.

Quoted from What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion :

Discourse supports the latest, stable releases of all major browsers and platforms:

• Microsoft Edge
  • Google Chrome
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Apple Safari

Additionally, we aim to support Safari on iOS 15.7+.

Functionality can be supported, but this is matter of basic structure, I reckon.

I can reproduce this issue with chromium + NoScript on first load of meta.discourse.org.

So you turned off some or all of Javascript? Discourse is a highly Javascript-driven web application. Turning off Javascript or letting some Javascript not load will of course cause the page to break.

1 Like

All JavaScript disabled. (noJS)

I am very much aware of that.

Unless I am mistaken, it seems that the discourse developers implemented some sort of noJS support. References:

Therefore a page only loading at reload seems like a bug.

In fact, I disabled javascript before and tried to follow his video, and I couldn’t reproduce the problem. So I asked if all JS is disabled.

Tested on almost latest Chromium

1 Like

Adding new link for the same video since the previous one got deleted. (also cant upload videos here, nor i can edit my original post)

1 Like

It seems to be, this issue isnt resolvable by some browser tweaks, it needs real solution from discourse.