Bug when discobot assigns the name in the certificate

For obvious reasons I can not repro the bug here on Meta.

I asked my team to test discobot after seeing that in the certificate I was assigned with the name of a group that was deleted months ago (SupportTeam)

Another member (he was a member of Support Team too) has been assigned the old username (Xtkale) that he changed years ago in Alex

And here another one, his username is murra, murray was the old username (he has never been a member of the Support Team)

It seems that discobot assigns the old username if you changed it. And if you never changed it he assigns the name of a deleted group if you belonged to that group.

EDIT: another recent member of our team has completed the tutorial for new user. He changed username before entering the team and discobot has given him to correct username.
The other members mentioned above have changed username after entering in some group, so probably discobot has problems with obsolete informations relative to groups.

EDIT2 : find some errors in the log

info:

Discourse::InvalidParameters (user_id must be present)
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-narrative-bot/plugin.rb:80:in `generate'
backtrace
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-narrative-bot/plugin.rb:80:in `generate'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/implicit_render.rb:4:in `send_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:198:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:10:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:20:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:117:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:555:in `block (2 levels) in compile'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:505:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:92:in `__run_callbacks__'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:778:in `_run_process_action_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:81:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:19:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:29:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:32:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:164:in `block in instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:20:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:164:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:30:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:250:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.8/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:18:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:137:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionview-4.2.8/lib/action_view/rendering.rb:30:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.10.4/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:76:in `block in profile_method'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:196:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal/rack_delegation.rb:13:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:237:in `block in action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:74:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:43:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:43:in `block in serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:817:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/engine.rb:518:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb:51:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:43:in `block in serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:30:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:817:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-protection-1.5.3/lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/omniauth-1.6.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:189:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/omniauth-1.6.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:167:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/omniauth-1.6.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:189:in `call!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/omniauth-1.6.1/lib/omniauth/strategy.rb:167:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/omniauth-1.6.1/lib/omniauth/builder.rb:63:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/conditionalget.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/head.rb:13:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:138:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/params_parser.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/flash.rb:260:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:225:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:220:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:560:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.8/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:36:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activerecord-4.2.8/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:653:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:29:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:88:in `__run_callbacks__'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:778:in `_run_call_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.8/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:81:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:78:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/logster-1.2.7/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:17:in `call_with_quiet_assets'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/actionpack-4.2.8/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:21:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/runtime.rb:18:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:113:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.10.4/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:171:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/message_bus-2.0.2/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:62:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:73:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/engine.rb:518:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/application.rb:165:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/railties-4.2.8/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:66:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:50:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rack-1.6.8/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:50:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/unicorn-5.3.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:606:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/lib/scheduler/defer.rb:85:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/unicorn-5.3.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:702:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/unicorn-5.3.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:549:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/unicorn-5.3.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:142:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/unicorn-5.3.0/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/bin/unicorn:22:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/bin/unicorn:22:in `<main>'
env
hostname	adu1-app
process_id	178
application_version	d326784ecfe66adb16eab9800550ad7c4864464e
HTTP_HOST	forum.adunanza.net
REQUEST_URI	/discobot/certificate.svg
REQUEST_METHOD	HEAD
HTTP_USER_AGENT	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.110 Safari/537.36
HTTP_ACCEPT	text/html
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR	51.15.41.81, unix:
HTTP_X_REAL_IP	unix:

Another member of my team send me a message with his certificates (new and advanced). In both of them discobot assigns to him an old custom title that I (or the other admin) give to him and that it was deleted when he choose to use a title from one of our custom badges (relative to his group).

Hmm why is title being used here @tgxworld? Or maybe I was misunderstanding what you wrote @Trash, why does title have anything to do with username?

I asked again to him, he said ā€œI donā€™t remember if it was a old title or if it was what I wrote in the past in my biography (About me) on my profile.ā€

With certainty, I know that he has never changed username.

EDIT: I forgot to insert the link of the discussion in our public test category Adubot test - Prove - AduForum (from post #34 onwards)

Nope this isnā€™t the case. The bot looks for the userā€™s Name column and uses that if it exists. Otherwise, it uses the userā€™s username.

2 Likes

I understand, but in my site thereā€™s no name to set for users (never enabled), only the username.

Hmm that is very oddā€¦ Iā€™m assuming youā€™re on the latest and everything?

If so, can you run the following commands in rails c?

user = User.find_by(username: <your username>)
(user.name && !user.name.blank? ? user.name : user.username).titleize
user = User.find_by(username: Dax)
(user.name && !user.name.blank? ? user.name : user.username).titleize
[1] pry(main)> user = User.find_by(username: Dax)
NameError: uninitialized constant Dax
from (pry):1:in `__pry__'
[2] pry(main)> (user.name && !user.name.blank? ? user.name : user.username).titleize
NoMethodError: undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass
from (pry):2:in `__pry__'
[3] pry(main)>

Oops you need quotes around ā€˜Daxā€™

2 Likes

username should be between ', so user = User.find_by(username: 'Dax') for the first line.

2 Likes
user = User.find_by(username: 'Dax')
[1] pry(main)> user = User.find_by(username: 'Dax')
=> #<User:0x0055643d3b5690
 id: 7,
 username: "Dax",
 created_at: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 23:02:47 UTC +00:00,
 updated_at: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 21:20:55 UTC +00:00,
 name: "SupportTeam",
 seen_notification_id: 276379,
 last_posted_at: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 21:20:55 UTC +00:00,
 email: "xxxxx@gmail.com",
 password_hash:
  "826b15de7d524221c26e2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe1cf2",
 salt: "e57b795axxxxxxxxxxx99b74f4",
 active: true,
 username_lower: "dax",
 last_seen_at: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 11:01:58 UTC +00:00,
 admin: true,
 last_emailed_at: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:08:24 UTC +00:00,
 trust_level: 4,
 approved: false,
 approved_by_id: nil,
 approved_at: nil,
 previous_visit_at: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 21:20:54 UTC +00:00,
 suspended_at: nil,
[2] pry(main)>
[3] pry(main)> (user.name && !user.name.blank? ? user.name : user.username).titleize
=> "Support Team"
[4] pry(main)>

Changed password hash, email and salt.

Before running the command we have upgraded all again.

In our forum the ā€œnameā€ should be blank because we never set it. And SupportTeam is the name of our first old custom group (set as primary) before we rework all the groups. This group has been deleted for a long time

By chance do you have full name disabled on your site (enable names)? I wonder if a check needs to be made against that site setting too. As I know when we imported, the import set a Full Name on many users, but since weā€™ve disabled Full Name, they have no way of clearing out the full name that was auto-set via the import.

Yes, it is disabled, but we did not migrate our old forum (it has been closed).

Yeah, I didnā€™t mean to imply you did. You could have had full name enabled for a short period of time and people had it set, or countless other ways for it to get set. The point was, since you have it disabled, the bot should probably take that into account versus just looking to see if the name property has a value.

2 Likes

Before the site was open to the public Iā€™m pretty sure that our founder disable that setting. Being very attentive to the user privacy, he would never have set a similar setting

In any event, as far as I concerned, Iā€™m sure that I never set a name and certantly, even if I did, it would not be ā€œSupport Teamā€.

But, the point isā€¦there is a way to overwrite the name for all the users to ā€œnilā€ how are the new registered users ?

id: 8999,
 username: "Monik_Fatina",
 created_at: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 20:12:40 UTC +00:00,
 updated_at: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 20:12:40 UTC +00:00,
 name: nil,

Way back when, did you do more than CSS when you were working on group titles showing on the user cards?

Relative to the site, yes. Relative to the usernames, probably the answer is yes (I need to check).
Are you suggesting to try the tutorial in the safe-mode without custom css to verify?

Thatā€™s why. No bug on the bot.

Iā€™m confused.
Itā€™s not a name , itā€™s a CSS content that I added:

.username.staff::after, .user-main .fa.fa-shield::before, #user-card .fa.fa-shield::before {
    content: 'SupportTeam';

Are you saying that discourse ā€œread itā€ as a name and add it to the database?

Iā€™m not convinced of that, as he has enable names disabled, so shouldnā€™t the bot not even consider full name in that scenario? Regardless if it still has a value.

1 Like