Can categories have default branches for topics?

Hi folks,
I like how posts can be allocated to different, let me call them “branches”, like in this screenshot.

Is there a way to implement this “branch” feature in Discourse?

The “branch” is like a sub categorie that I need next to existing tags in many categories by default. A user shall be asked for the “branch” before a topic can be created in that category.

County market example:

Imagine many many market categories by local areas; for instance a market category for every county. In each and every market I need default sub categories or “branches” like “Offers” and “Needs”. Then the tags are used to cluster topics to “free”, “barter”, “price” and so on.

Can you imagine to implement this with discourse?

Cheers!

You can have tag groups for a category and require that one of them be selected. You could have other tags too. So your branches would be a tag group.

3 Likes

Cheers mate! I’ll give it a try.

Thank you for this suggestion. It works somehow. I have a category that requires the user to select at least one tag from these 2 tag groups.

1. market entry type: need or offer
  2. market connection type: barter, free, price

For instance, my newly created topic is of entry type offer and connection type free.

• How can users find this specific topic and all other topics that also have the entry type offer and the connection type free selected without using the search like this: #offer #free?
  • Instead of using tags for 2 different kind of clusters is it possible to have 2 default sub categories called needs and offers that I can assign to several parent categories. You could call this feature a category group and you could assign it to categories as sub categories. Think of the tag group feature as a category group feature. Does something like this exist or make sense?

Cheers!