Can Discourse handle classified ads succesully or is there a better way?

(James) #1

Has anyone seen or deployed a successful classified ads system or plugin for Discourse. Is this something that could work well or is there a better approach, a third party solution that would play nicely with DIscourse perhaps? Seamless authentication and user experience being key issues.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you describe with some specific examples? What is being sold, by whom, on what terms/costs?

(James) #3

Hi Jeff, this would be a general classifieds area, could be anything for sale from small items to property/cars etc at any price range. Listing should be free with options to add features to ads, charge for real estate ads, promote listing etc. I appreciate this is not the primary function of Discourse but would be interested in your thoughts! Thanks

I guess you could technically host a Classifieds forum on Discourse, but I’m not sure it would be the best way to go about it.

Have you tried looking around?

(James) #5

Hi Ron, thanks, yes I’m looking around too, was just intrigued as to whether there was a Discourse plugin or some other easy integration as I may move my Drupal forum over to Discourse and my members want classifieds.

(Matt Palmer) #6

As far as easy integration goes, Discourse is quite a capable SSO provider and consumer, so tying user accounts and such together shouldn’t be a chore. A plugin to actually embed a fully-functional classified ads into a Discourse forum is probably overkill. However, people run classified ad setups on “discussion” systems (Facebook is the one I’m familiar with, since my wife runs one), where each item is a topic, and people reply “I’ll take that!” and so on. If you just wanted some classified ads as a sideline to the main “discussion” part of your forum, I’d say that’s probably the least friction way of getting started, even if you then later build out a plugin to support more features if the community demands it.

(James) #7

Thanks Matt, appreciate the suggestion. Sounds like a sensible approach.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

There are plenty of forums that do a ton of selling. For example sneaker forums are hugely into buying and selling rare sneakers among themselves.

(James Mc Mahon) #9

My thought is that classifieds are best done in something other than forums. You can provide a better user experience with things like proximity search, image galleries, pricing based searches and so on.

(Matt Palmer) #10

Sure, but there’s “best”, and then there’s “good enough”…

(James Mc Mahon) #11

True, good enough, is good enough. All depends on your community/audience.

(Leah Kramer) #12

I think it’s natural progression once you bring people together around a niche interest with an excellent forum solution like Discourse to want to give people a way to buy/sell/trade with each other.

We’re currently considering adding a folder for this on one of the forums I work on but all the headache of preventing fraud, dealing with dispute resolution, having to come up with a reputation management system is daunting.

Has anyone come up with a brilliant silver bullet for this?