Can I log into multiple instances of discourse simultaneously?

To follow up on this: I went with the recommendations made by the majority in here. Discourse has been installed, and the main categories are in place. Now to add some sub-categories. I appreciate all the helpful opinions. This is an amazing community, one that I am very proud to be part of. Discourse is a great piece of software, and it has inspired me to start learning Ruby/Rails.
https://army.community/

Your opinions and subjections are more than welcome as I continue creating the community.

4 Likes

Is it possible to show only the main categories when you click on the top right menu?

to

I’m not sure if there is a better way, but if you click on each subcategory you can check this box: Suppress this category from the homepage from the subcategories Settings tab.

1 Like

Thank you so much. Will take a look at it!

Hmm, I think each category has the ability to determine whether it appears there or not in its settings. We used to have a “suppress all subcategories from nav” but I believe when @neil reworked this to make it more of a per-category config thing, we dropped the weirdo global setting.

2 Likes

Can somebody confirm if the site is loading slow, or if it’s just me? And if so, what kind of recommendations can I follow to speed up things a little. I have a 3CPU/5GB memory ubuntu VPS. I have used the same setups for another kind of projects, and it has always worked pretty well.

Discourse is very sensitive to single threaded CPU performance. So if your CPU cores are slow, it won’t matter how many of them there are. Beyond that, I recommend configuring a CDN.

1 Like

It’s pretty fast for me right now.

Thank you very much for checking!

Something odd on your site. When I visited it in lynx, I was seeing html tags. Checking the source:

<span itemprop='description'>&lt;strong&gt;Welcome to the Army.Community discussion forums!&lt;/strong&gt;

Sure enough, ampersand-escaped html tags. It’s there in the source when I look in Firefox, too, but it doesn’t display like that in FF, because later on there is a Javascript version:

"description":"\u003cstrong\u003eWelcome to the Army.Community discussion forums!\u003c/strong\u003e ..."

I don’t know if this is a general bug or something specify about your set-up.

I’ve been mulling over the feasibility of a plugin that can be used to federate multiple Discourse sites either from scratch or using Diaspora.

1 Like

That’s weird and I have not idea where to look for :frowning: :pensive:

1 Like

You can configure one Discourse as an SSO and the others as clients of the master. No plugin required.

While this is, of course, possible, is anyone aware of any site actually doing this? Although I think it is usually better to use a single instance rather than multiple, I am, as I mentioned elsewhere, curious how discourse might eventually be able to integrate multiple forums into a more coherent user experience…

I expect it’ll go away soon, but the old commonmark test instance uses SSO with meta - seems pretty seamless to me!

1 Like

Yes, that was indeed seamless (so seamless that Sam set up an topic explaining to people where they ended up and why they’re already logged in). But are there any “real” use cases with multiple interlinked fora? I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t any.

1 Like

I set one up as a test for a potential client. It seemed like it was going to work out pretty well. The idea was a group of bloggers who wanted Discourse as commenting platform with the ability for members to be able to leave the fold if they so chose. It seemed like a reasonable solution.

3 Likes