Can I view my own topic that is awaiting moderation?

I’ve run into a situation where I’m not sure what’s going on with a post I wrote in another community, but right when I tried to post it it said it would have to be approved. Since it was an in-depth report of a technical problem, along with a support request, and since nothing appears to be happening there, I’d really like to take what I wrote and post it elsewhere, like on StackExchange, without having to rewrite it. But I don’t know how to view it. Is it possible?

4 Likes

Hello there I have just tested this and you cannot see your topic awaiting moderation. The best thing to do is to message the site moderators to find out what has happened to your topic. In my opinion this behaviour does look very counter-intuitive. However, I don’t know where your topic awaiting moderation could be put so you would see it whilst it is awaiting approval. I dislike trying to come up with a improvement with no solution to go with it though.

5 Likes

It might appear in your data if you do a full export of all your posts via your user page. Bit of a sledge hammer to kill a fly, but…

2 Likes

Thanks for the interesting idea! The admin eventually got to it, so I don’t need the sledgehammer. Plus, probably easier to rewrite than lift a hammer that big. :slight_smile:

It does feel a bit odd that I cannot view my own post when it’s awaiting moderation. Is that intentional, based on not wanting people to edit posts that are in moderation, perhaps?

3 Likes

Sure – @eviltrout should we add a section on your user page to expose posts awaiting moderation? I can add that to the 2.8 release if it makes sense?

5 Likes

Yes I think that would be a great thing to add. It’s not simple to implement, but very useful to the end user.

7 Likes

This was added to the 2.8 release list! :raised_hands:

9 Likes

The related PR has just been merged! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve just updated to test this out, but the post itself is not showing up in the Pending feed?

3 Likes

Going to take a look :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At first I thought it could have been a problem with the mobile rendering but I can’t reproduce this on my dev env :thinking:
Did you try to refresh the page? (to clear any possible JS cache maybe)
Otherwise could you walk me through what you did please?

1 Like

I’m afraid I didn’t do anything special.

I was logged in as admin to update, then impersonated a test user. As the test user, I posted a message to a category with Approve Posts set, and then went to look for it in Activity/Pending.

I’ve refreshed, and logged out and back in as the test user (rather than impersonate) and it’s still blank.

I’m using Android, Chrome.

Update:

It’s the same on my live site as well.

And it does the same on my desktop (Windows10, Firefox):

Have I misunderstood something? (it happens fairly often :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

I think you rather found an actual bug :sweat_smile: That’s pretty weird, it seems to be working as expected (proper count, etc.), just the list that doesn’t show up. Could you check in the JS console if there are any errors please? I’m going to conduct some more tests on my side just in case I missed something.

I think I’ve done this right (I’ve not used the console before :slightly_smiling_face:):

1 Like

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don’t think this is very helpful :confused: Could you check the XHR tag in the console (near the CSS one) and refresh the page please? You should see a request ending in pending.json at some point, inspecting it could provide useful information, like its response.

1 Like

The Response tab has the post info in:

Just noticed it doesn’t have the whole info in the screenshot, but the topic_id, topic_url, and username are in there too.

1 Like

Well that’s pretty weird, it would be some kind of display problem? :thinking:
Are you using a custom theme or something?
Otherwise could you run this command in the console and tell me if it outputs something when you’re on the Pending page: document.querySelector("li.user-stream-item")

My test user has the default theme. There are other themes on there, but none active. My live site has the Minima theme (with a couple of tweaks). But I tried it in safe mode too the first time.

Could you be more specific on where I should enter that?

1 Like

Yes sorry :sweat_smile: At the bottom of the console you should be able to run commands. I’m not sure to see it on your screenshot though. Usually all the dev tools are docked at the bottom of the browser window and you should have something similar to this:

You can see a cursor there. Try to open the dev tools by pressing the F12 key and I guess you should have an interface similar to this one showing up.

Thank you. I had a console open that had the input disabled by default. :slightly_smiling_face: I have found the developer tools one. :+1:

I input that command, but it doesn’t appear to have done anything? It just says ← NULL after it

1 Like