Cannot remove ignored user on meta.discourse.org

I was doing some research on how the user ignore/mute feature works (as in, how it actually appears for the user), and the only username I could remember off the top of my head was @codinghorror. So I tried that.

Now, when I go into my profile settings to remove Jeff from the Ignored list, it is removed…but when I save and refresh it’s still there no matter what or how I do it.

Even more strange, when I try to add ANOTHER user (any random user) to the ignore list, I get this error. Maybe related, maybe not, but def unexpected.

Feels funny to report “can’t un-ignore Jeff Atwood” but…here we are :laughing:

7 Likes

Thanks @alexknowshtml for reporting this :raised_hands:

I am thinking you have ignored codinghorror sometime ago, and during that time we allowed a user with any trust level to ignore any user other user.

We changed that recently. Now, you can not ignore an Admin or a Moderator, and therefore, when you are trying to un-ignore codinghorror, this action is now disabled since he is an Admin.

We should fix / clean that up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Right but UN-ignoring a staff member is by definition safe and shouldn’t need to be blocked.

This could also happen if you ignore someone and they are later promoted to admin or mod.

2 Likes

Totally. We need to fix it up :+1:

1 Like

Thank! What about non-admin/mod users? I get the error in the screenshot when I tried to ignore a couple of random users (to see if I was doing something else wrong) and it wouldn’t let me. I don’t think they were all admin/mods. Is there a certain level where you can’t mute/ignore anybody yet?

1 Like

I think I missed one important detail here. Having took a good look at this today, there are a couple of updates that will make this erratic behaviour clearer.

1. We actually do not block this action, we have this already allowed for any user.

2. I checked @alexknowshtml user profile and it appears to be that you are a “Basic user”, we only allow “Member” and above TLs to ignore another user. I need to update this post with the latest changes.

Admin_-_Discourse_Meta

1. We definitely had a bug by showing you the Ignore user in preferences for users who can not actually ignore others. I have a fix for this.

2. I have cleaned up your list of ignorees and removed codinghorror.

5 Likes

I have updated this meta post with the latest features we shipped :ship:

UPDATE: I think I can close this topic since the cause was treated here.

7 Likes