Can't rename topic if try to capitalise it

I’d like to rename a topic along the lines of “Usa” to “USA” but this doesn’t seem possible. I’m able to rename topics when changing the words entirely.

I guess I could rename it to something else entirely temporarily but it would be better if Discourse just allowed my intended change. I’m on 2.7.0.beta8.

I think this is a bug though as always I can see the other side of the argument.

Thank you.

Edit: It turns out it’s not possible to capitalise via an intermediate topic title. Discourse remembers the original title and insists on it!

2 Likes

Are you trying to capitalise the entire title? And if so, have you got this setting turned on? That prevents all caps in titles.

3 Likes

Yes I did have that setting turned on! That must have been the reason. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

After changing that setting, when I tried to create a topic with an all caps title (or rename an old one) it said: Title seems unclear, did you mean to enter it in ALL CAPS? It offered one answer - “OK” - and when I clicked on it, it went back to the editing screen and didn’t allow the creation/renaming to happen. The answer was to tick allow uppercase posts (allow all caps in a topic title or a post body) in settings. That setting seems to take priority over title prettify - which I have ticked again, as it has its own benefits. If I were to keep the old allow uppercase posts setting I would change the pop up text to something simple like “Titles or posts can’t be ALL CAPS: please edit”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.