Category Group Review/Moderation

@jomaxro we see nothing

James asked about the /about page: https://meta.discourse.org/about. If you scroll past the admins (we have a few), you’ll see the support moderators.

If you want to see it above the category, I’d love to see a mockup.

3 Likes

a few ? you call that a few? hahahahhahahaha :wink:

4 Likes

It is displayed in About - Discourse Meta

I think that you are asking for a new feature, and one that I’d like too:

Show Category Moderators and Category Group access in the /c page

It would be very helpful to have these easily viewable by people who have permission to see the category. It would be similar to the /about page, but display category specific info instead.

6 Likes

@jomaxro mockup as requested

6 Likes

Thanks Gavin. What if a category has more than a few moderators?

4 Likes

how about something like this as it exist already, just need a bit of change

5 Likes

Great to know these peeps Group Moderators (as opposed to Moderators) already exist on /About. Is there anyway way to confirm who is which? I cannot tell on the Meta about page.

I’m curious because our forum does not specifically need Moderators, but we are hoping to have Group Moderators. Thanks for any further pointers!

3 Likes

Yeah, it makes it pretty obvious. Gets busy if you have moderators for multiple categories though.

3 Likes
13 Likes

Just wanted to confirm I understand this feature and its limitations correctly.

If I want members of a certain group (who are not site-wide moderators) to be able to delete posts, the (only viable) workflow would be:

1. Someone would flag a topic or post in a category where said group has moderation rights.
  2. Group member goes to review queue and opens flag details
  3. Group member then chooses to “Delete” the post/topic.

Was hoping for something simpler ICIMI, but this will do in a pinch if need be. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes. For actions other than delete, the category moderators can perform it right away:

7 Likes

Currently normal moderators can set the moderators inbox to “Watching” the topics. In this case they are able to receive emails about posts ended up in the queue awaiting approval (based on the notify about queued posts after site setting).

For category moderators, however, this is not possible. They receive the red notification on the site, but they will not receive any emails notifying them that there are posts in the queue.

Receiving emails as well as onsite notifications could encourage the use of category moderators instead of normal moderators.

9 Likes

Does that mean that this is a deliberate choice (not to notify category moderators by mail)? Category moderators are a useful role, different from normal moderators and I’d be interested about the rationale for depriving them from mail notifications. It makes them work more difficult because they have to either manually check on a regular basis or hack a notification system on their own.

1 Like

Firstly this is a great feature!

It would be super good if a category moderator could also create and assign badges to users in their assigned category.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a deliberate choice but rather a feature that hasn’t been added yet.

3 Likes

[EDIT: I have answered some of my questions via impersonation - sub-mods do not see Staff whispers at all, and basically only get a message/topic wrench. They cannot alter user information as Staff can. Part of this is I have always been Staff and wasn’t sure of Moderator limitations. Thanks!]

Quick question - we are reviewing whether to enable Category Moderation for specific users. It appears they get access to the “review” queue for flagged posts in their assigned category.

Do category moderators also have the ability to see/act upon flags for categories they do not moderate? I’m assuming they would not, but wanted to make sure.

(IE: If Bob moderates only category A, and George is flagged for a post in category B, does Bob have the ability to review and suspend George for the post in category B?)

1 Like

No, they do not. They only see things in the review queue that are appropriate for them. Discourse is clever with things like that!

2 Likes

Hi there,

Just a question about this feature, can said group also moderate subcategories within the parent category, or are they only able to moderator the parent category itself?

Also is there any plan to enable a specific user to be a category moderator?

1 Like

For that, you would need to add the group to the subcategory moderation settings, as well as the parent category.

You could set up a group with only one person in, and that would do it. :+1:

2 Likes