Category Moderator Improvements

We recently added lots of long awaited improvements to our Category specific Moderators feature.

As of today, they are now able to:

• Mark topics as solved

• Edit posts

• Close topics

• Archive topics

• Move posts from a topic

• Edit category descriptions

• Add staff notices

for any topics under the categories they have moderator status.

Category Moderators now get a shield on posts under their categories, and we also added a special CSS class their posts, so you can add some custom styling to those users that is restricted to their own categories.

60 Likes

This is fantastic, thanks for the work!

Will mods be able to create unlisted topics or turn existing ones into unlisted?

Cheers.

4 Likes

Silly question: Beyond having access to more categories, is there any other difference between Moderators and Category specific Moderators?

3 Likes

Not a silly question. :slight_smile:

Here are the actions that full blown mods are privy to:

Staff

A user that is either an admin a moderator or both.

• Immune to rate limits
  • Can process flags and posts held in the moderation queue
  • Can delete topics and posts, split topics, merge topics, hide topics and so on.
  • Can view user info including email address
  • Can suspend, silence, anonymize and delete users
  • Can adjust a user’s trust level

Category moderators can perform most of the content based moderation but not all of the user based actions.

15 Likes

No, category specific moderators can’t handle topic list/unlist at the moment.

5 Likes

Thank you. Will these changes be added to a tests-pass release in August?

1 Like

The changes are already in tests-passed, since the announcement.

8 Likes

Can this be restricted?

Only category moderators can edit their own category description, so it is restricted to the ones you manually assign to the group responsible for a category.

And no, as we do with everything else, there is no configurable permission grid for each specific role permission.

7 Likes

When a category moderator closes or archives a topic no :lock: or :open_file_folder: icon is shown saying that they closed/archived it. Only when they open or unarchive a topic does it show they preformed an action.

6 Likes

Good catch!

I’ve been able to reproduce the issue locally, and have a proposed fix in the works.

12 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks for the speedy fix! I might have something else. But I need to do some digging myself. Might message you later this week.

5 Likes

Do you have plans to implement ‘Delete Topic’ and ‘Make Personal Message’ ?

I think ‘unlist’ would be better here. I prefer if site moderators can delete.

5 Likes

Would be great if category moderators could alter the title, category, tags regardless of their trust level for posts within their category (but please, the topic guardian should still respect the locked state!).

4 Likes

To add to that, it would be nice if it was possible for the category moderators to also edit the post content - basically following the fact that full site Moderator has all the abilities of Trust Level 4.

7 Likes

The ability for category moderators to edit posts has been merged in just now.

14 Likes