Chat messages went from being "read" to "unread" suddenly

For some reason, I suddenly ended up with 53 stale unread chat notifications on a forum I am on (all of them were from messages I had already seen). The forum that this happened on is hosted by CDCK, in case that matters. Not only did stale chat notifications appear, but it seems like threads were somehow re-enabled (without staff interaction) in channels that they had been recently disabled in. The forum that happened on is in CDCK’s Seattle datacenter.

3 Likes

Update: The notifications went away, but returned (there were 54 the second time).

3 Likes

Additionally, some threads were recreated with only one message in them, as their first message had already been transferred to another channel.

2 Likes

I guess it’s related: a personal chat I replied to still shows two unread messages.

Indeed, the problem is recent, since another chat earlier last Tuesday did not show the problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting these issues! It sounds like there are a few different issues here, we just need some clarifications before we investigate please.

Are you both on the same forum? If so it could be potentially related to the message move issue below, which we are discussing internally:

Also when you say notifications, do you mean the blue dot unread indicators for the channels? Where did you see the count of 54?

I am not really sure how this would have happened; the only place where threading can be enabled/disabled is this screen. Did any of your admins change any other settings there? Perhaps there is some bug where we are changing threading_enabled when other settings are changed:

I think it’s a combination of stale data being cached by a service worker and per-IP ratelimits on forums hosted by CDCK. (Basically, I think stale responses are used for checking unread chat message counts when the server responds with 429)

1 Like

I mean the green one that shows in the header for personal chat messages / chat mentions.

1 Like

Yes (we are both admins there).

1 Like

This happens to me as well. It seems like a caching issue. Normally it happens if I’m opening the chat by going ‘back’ from a different web address.

Seems to be occurring just on mobile?