Closed topics not returning votes to users

I have set up my discourse voting plugin with a 20 vote limit:

A user has voted 20 times and two of the topics have been closed (see here). The user is reporting that they are not able to vote anymore due to being out of votes.

According to the plugin page, votes should be returned when the topic is closed:

If the topic is closed or archived, the votes are released to the users and can be applied to other topics but the vote count on the topic remains.

2 Likes

They should be but maybe a hook is missing somewhere, we should have a daily or at least weekly job that corrects things if it somehow gets off sync. Does the issue persist over time?

2 Likes

Being that both topics with this example user were closed several weeks/months ago, I would say that yes, it has persisted.

1 Like

@sam Anything a user can do to try to “reset” a users votes and get the system to recalculate their totals?

1 Like

Simplest thing to do is to close-open-close and topic where a vote was not reclaimed.

@sam I tried this but the user is still reporting that they are out of votes.

1 Like

Hi guys

We are experiencing the same issue.
Moving the thread into a category that has voting disabled or closing the thread does not release votes.

Can somebody look into this soon?
We have somewhere around 100 (and growing) out of a few thousand users that actively and regularly vote for topics and are complaining that they are all running out of votes.

Regards
David

2 Likes

We will now release/reclaim votes when topics move to different categories:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-voting/pull/34

4 Likes