Contributor Interviews – Felix "fefrei"

The difference is a “normal” thanks vs

1 Like

Not that you couldn’t add a ginormous thanks button… :joy:

5 Likes

So I think this also ties into

Sometimes closing a topic, makes the response feel bluntly shutdown versus “solved”. However, I don’t disagree with the decision to close topics once they are solved, it reduces noise and the need for staff to tidy things up (or keep an eye) on topics that are not relevant anymore.

8 Likes

I agree that closing topics immediately after responding feels very “blunt”, and not very welcoming for new (or old) users.

Using the auto-close timer, even if it’s only for a few hours, makes it much ‘softer’ and still keeps noise to a minimum.

12 Likes

I don’t think many normal users know to flag to ask for reopening a topic. I didn’t, for example, until now.

What I’ve seen on meta is users saying, oops this topic is closed, that’s why I’ve opened an identical one. Hoe many users actually flag for reopen?

2 Likes

Very few. Perhaps we need to re-educate people.

6 Likes

Perhaps it needs to be more prominent…

At least show up clearly as a button in closed topics? Replacing the normal reply button?

I don’t think we want it that prominent :smiley:.

2 Likes

@fefrei For some reason, I thought your profile picture was of a white haired monkey!

japanese_macaque_9

After looking at the larger version @codinghorror posted, all I see now is the cat, and it’s so obviously a cat. My worldview has shifted :upside_down_face:

Also, this:

It’s easy to mistake language difficulties for a lack of intelligence or cogency. If this forum was in German or Chinese, I’m sure I would seem a bit dim or unfocused.

9 Likes

So did I until just now!

5 Likes

Wait, how in the world can you mistake that for a monkey? :see_no_evil:
But I shouldn’t be surprised given how many people have told me they see a guinea pig in my avatar :crazy_face:

Either way, I can assure you that it is a cat :wink:

I learned that from the occasional last post in a #bug topic that said “flag to reopen if this is still an issue”, typically by @sam. Maybe setting up a canned reply for something like this could help a bit already?

5 Likes

Ahem, “it” is not a cat - She’s a calico :smirk_cat:

4 Likes

Screenshot from 2017-11-06 12-58-17

Do you need something like this? It’s already doable via admin/customize/site_texts.

3 Likes

Guilty here. Thought it was a mandrill. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I wish to pet this :cat:

5 Likes

I petted it for you, I hope that’s okay?

14 Likes

10 Likes

Squint and focus on the white bits :stuck_out_tongue:

cat_monkey

japanese_macaque_9

9 Likes

I loved the interview. Like most users here I’ve been helped by Felix at some point! :heart:

I really liked this idea:

I was invited to do a PR for a tiny bit of CSS. It’s on my todo list, but not knowing whether if it will take me 30 minutes or 3 hours to do it, I’ve avoided it.

9 Likes

I thought it was a capybara! :herb:

12 Likes