Could the auto silence feature in chat be improved?

Hello. The auto silence feature of chat is a useful one. I see this feature as a way to force users to write messages that contain complete sentences and thoughts

instead
of
sending
each
word
separately
as
some
people
may be
used to.

However, the way silencing happens now is not too effective at achieving this goal. As I understand it, the system bot sends a warning as a PM telling them they’ve been temporarily blocked. If the user doesn’t think the above behavior is a problem (which is probably a true statement, otherwise, the user wouldn’t type like that), they can’t understand what the reason for the block was.

In addition, this all feels a bit awkward – the punishment for actions in chat comes as a PM.

My question – is the current silencing behavior a result of deliberate choice or is it something you may agree can be improved?

For example, instead of sending a silence PM, why can’t we make send button inactive in chat for the duration of the silence? Telegram does that:

You don’t see the send button unless certain time has passed since your last message.

2 Likes

Just to share some additional facts about the current state, if a user’s chat message is flagged, they get this personal message:

Then if, the try to chat, they are unable to type new messages. Instead, they see this:

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 9.06.00 PM

In the admin section for the user, it shows this: