I just had the oddest experience doing a simple reboot of my Amazon Lightsail instance.
- Did the reboot… waited for restart.
- Got “502 Gateway Error - Nginx” error message screen on some (I assume uncached) pages). Waited a bit…
- Did a discourse rebuild via shell.
- Got an error message that rebuild failed.
- Use ./discourse-doctor - Also failed.
- Disabled non-official plugins and rebuilt - Also failed.
Thought I was screwed. And while doing more research checked the forum again only to find it working okay. Which makes zero sense considering discourse doc’s immediate response was WARNING! App not even running!
My theory is that this might be more do do with Amazon’s burstable limits that anything else. Being that the reboot may have strained the server and that was causing some initial issue with the 502s, but certainly the rebuild shot my server up to 70-80% of burst limits and maybe there was no system resources to run the rebuild scripts?
So my ultimate question is (as this has been something plaguing the update rebuild process), is there a way to limit the update scripts load on the server and not have it freak out? I mean this is an 8GB Ram instance so it’s not that weak, etc.
Thanks… and now I have taken 2 Ativan for no reason.