Create swapfile in installation guide

Hello,

That is going to be really good if the official installation guide contains such information like Create a swapfile for your Linux server
I always forget create it after install. I think swapfile is too useful to not being in the official guide somehow. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe that discourse-setup will create the swap of you have 2gb out less. How much ram do you have? Are you using Ubuntu?

2 Likes

Hi Jay,
Yes I am using Ubuntu with 4gb ram. If I remember correctly DigitalOcean make swapfile automatically but I move to Vultr and the admin upgrade process sometimes failed. After a month I checked that and there wasn’t swapfile. I created it after using the guide above. I just thinking about it maybe going to be a help if it is in the official installation guide additionally.

For example in this section :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have 4gb ram then it’s believed that you don’t need swap. 1gb installs get only 2gb of swap and those people aren’t reporting issues.

Is the server running other things?

Only Discourse. Is that problem I set up the swap? I read the create swap guide and I thought it is a safety thing and prevents out of memory when upgrade.

It depends the memory usage? Maybe our server is not enough to make an admin upgrade process with few online people.

How big is your database?

Where can I check the size? Ok found it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1.86 GB

1 Like

Yeah. You might need more ram then. And the official guide is for a new site.

1 Like