Customize Invite email message

You can now customize Invite email message when inviting user to forum, topic or message.

The resulting invite email will look like:

10 Likes

This worries me. If Discourse is checking for the link before sending, why not alert the user that they must include the link, instead of silently ignoring the message?

4 Likes

Good point! Added on my list. :pencil:

2 Likes

Agreed – or just prevent the button from being pressed, if that key string is not present in the text? That might be simpler.

3 Likes

My concern here is that people don’t understand templates.

Instead why not simply give them a dedicated spot in the invite for a “custom message” and then allow them to add it in here.

It just feels a little bit too flexible and “technical” this way to me.

4 Likes

Sure, I support that – @techapj can you change it so

1. When “custom message” is expanded, a textbox with some suggested copy is shown. No template, just plain text:

Hey, I thought you might enjoy this topic!

2. If user enters text, that is inserted into the template on their behalf in the {user_custom_message} template field or what have you.

7 Likes

Note that this is also safer – with the current design, the sender could totally subvert the message, maybe even use it for spamming.

3 Likes

Okay, done via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/40e9e1be6642b1faa91c0f8c0aaec8f7cd5dfab5

Updated the OP to reflect the same.

5 Likes

hmm, this message could be better:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/40e9e1be6642b1faa91c0f8c0aaec8f7cd5dfab5#diff-aeb8651199334c1cb831e884ff85773aR1584

This invitation is from a trusted user, so you won’t need to log in.

How about something like this:

This invitation is from a trusted user, so an account will be created for you automatically.

You’ll get another email with instructions on how to sign in next time.

4 Likes

Sure, I think that suffices; no need to add another extra line.

It just happened the invite notification does not arrive from a named From: address, which is even considered invalid:

Would it be a considerable, sane default to present the title as the sender of the invitation emails?