Dashboard broken after 2.6.0.beta1 install, removing docker_manager fixes it

I recently updated to 2.6.0.beta1 using /admin/update, and started having issues with the Dashboard. Whenever I would use the hamburger drop-down menu to go to the Admin page, nothing below the “Version” information on the Dashboard would load, and the dropdown menu would stay on the screen (I had to click the hamburger again to make it go away). If I reloaded the Admin page, I got the “Version” section repeated around 40 times, with the first repeat showing “-” under “Installed”, and the others showing the correct version.

I went into safe mode to try and track the problem down, and it seemed to be related to an official plugin. I only have discourse_data_explorer and docker_manager installed. After I edited the app.yml file to remove docker_manager and rebuilt the app, the dashboard started working again.

Could this be a bug with docker_manager, or is there something else that could be breaking the Dashboard in the presence of docker_manager?

4 Likes

I’m also have the same issue. I didn’t even mean to upgrade. I removed an old plugin and it upgraded me in the process.

1 Like

I don’t know, we don’t see this on our hosting but I know @RGJ had it happen on their hosting … anything you can add?

This does not ring a bell to me @codinghorror…?
I vaguely recall we had a single client that couldn’t load the admin on 2.5.0 but it was a bad plugin as far as I remember (I think the topic is gone, can’t find it), and there was nothing like repeated version strings or anything like that.

2 Likes

Possibly a bad third party plugin in this scenario too. We just don’t see this problem on our hosting at all.

The only plugins I had installed were docker_manager and discourse-data-explorer which I believe are both official ones.

Did you try in safe mode? Maybe it was a theme or theme component?

1 Like

I have the discourse-chat-integration, discourse-oauth2-basic and docker_manager plugins loaded. All worked fine before. The dashboard page doesn’t load any site statistics, only information about the version. Refreshing the page causes another instance of the version section to be added to the page and the header not to load.

1 Like

Yes, I went into safe mode to track the problem down.

With only “Disable current theme” checked, the problem was still there.

With only “Disable unofficial plugins” checked, the problem was still there.

With only “Disable all plugins” checked, the problem went away. I had only docker_manager and discourse-data-explorer installed, so then I edited the app.yml file and rebuilt the app to find out which one was causing the problem, and it turned out to be docker_manager.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Running safe mode with “Disable all plugins” checked fixes it, but the only two plugins I have are docker_manager and discourse-spoiler-alert.

For what it’s worth, this started when I updated a few hours ago. I used the upgrade page to update docker_manager first. When that finished, the upgrade page no longer fully loaded and this issue with the dashboard page started too. I tried rebuilding the app, but it fails.

4 Likes

I can reproduce this.

Another global deprecation cc @eviltrout

https://github.com/discourse/docker_manager/blob/4f856c3c3ce31b219531be87ef8cc1f5fcb44c33/assets/javascripts/discourse/components/upgrade-notice.js.es6#L4

returns

Uncaught TypeError: Discourse.getAppURL is not a function
8 Likes

I had a similar issue with the upgrade page. I initiated the upgrade from /admin/upgrade and updated docker_manager first. After the update completed I was stuck on the page with the progress bar and couldn’t get back to the page with the update buttons. When I tried reloading the update page I got a message that I needed to do the rest of the updates manually on my server. After I did the manual updates then I encountered the problem I described.

2 Likes

Just for completeness, I encounter this while doing a ./launcher rebuild app

1 Like

Aha sorry about that, I think this is a new regression, @eviltrout will be on top of it tomorrow.

4 Likes

https://github.com/discourse/docker_manager/pull/73

4 Likes

I merged @riking commit, testing it out on my droplet.

EDIT: fix is fine, head to /admin/upgrade on your site to correct the issue.

8 Likes

Thanks, I did the upgrade and it’s working now!

2 Likes

Sorry! I thought I was being clever there, and even tested an upgrade using the interface, but did not realize the plugin also put stuff outside of /admin/upgrade!

6 Likes