Digital Ocean No Longer Works on $5 and $10 plans?

So I created a Digital Ocean account to create a quick $5 test system for an idea I have (not work related) to see if its viable. I went to create the droplet, but it now only lets you select Discourse on the $20 a month plan. Just wanted to make sure you guys knew since its still the recommended host in most of the guides.

Yes that was their call since they don’t want people to run swap files. Not enough memory is the “real” reason.

Just do the manual setup following our official install guide, which includes swap file as part of the setup and works fine on the 1GB RAM plan.

512mb ram was never ever ever supported, so not sure what you are referring to there.

2 Likes

The 512’s weren’t supported, but I recall reading that they did work at least as long as you had little to no traffic.

No, 512mb RAM was never supported for any live public Discourse site. You might be able to complete the install if you have a ton of swap, just barely, but it will be catastrophically memory starved and performance will be abysmal… even for a single user.

4 Likes

I’ve been able to get Discourse working with 512mb of ram and 2gb of swap to test out some plug-ins. It wasn’t slow but it wasn’t fast either. If you are just testing some stuff, and don’t mind a 30 minute long install, go ahead. Otherwise use at least 2gb.

Isn’t cheaper / smarter to use the 1-click with 2GB do the testing and shutdown the instance after? DO hourly rate means 26 hours use are $0.77.

1 Like

Sure I guess, but I left my 512 mb server running for about a month. I was testing scaling. I had a central database and several slave discourse instances.

EDIT: It all depends on your situation.