Disable Mailing List Mode for Certain Posts

Is there a hook into the mailing list mode that could allow us to suppress emailing certain posts, say posts from a certain user? Could it conceivably be done with a plugin?

We have a plugin that auto-inserts a wiki post, as the first post in a topic, whenever a topic is created. The wiki post is just a template and has no value when it is first created- it will only gain value over time. But creating the wiki post triggers a nuisance email for those who have mailing list enabled. Half of our group uses mailing list mode. (That’s unusually high, I know, but we’re coming from a Google Groups background, so there’s some inertia.)

The wiki posts are automatically posted by a fictitious user named “Summary”, so that’s the most obvious criteria to filter on.

1 Like

You could override the code that generates the emails in s plugin.

You might instead be able to have everyone set to ignore that user.

3 Likes

This works if I mute that user myself manually, so I guess I’ll write a plugin to make sure everyone automatically mutes that user.

But I’m curious how this approach would work- any pointers?

1 Like

Not quickly. It’s the same as overriding any method, though. You’d figure out what was generating those messages and override that to ignore the message if that user sent it. I didn’t do it in 5 minutes. . . .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.