Discourse Canned Replies

official

(Andre Pereira) #1

Repo: GitHub - discourse/discourse-canned-replies: Adds a means to insert templates from the composer.

Canned replies allows staff members to create and save replies for repeated use, saving you a lot of time typing and posting the replies you post more frequently.

To use the canned replies you must first open the reply composer and click the extras button.

You’ll then be presented with the insert canned reply modal where you can create new replies and browse, use or edit existing ones.

Notes:

• When creating new replies, the content text is automatically set as the current composer content.
  • The Remove button is in the Edit panel.
  • The replies list has one reply by default which is added whenever the list is empty.

To-do:

• Populate the title when creating a new topic
  • Add variables that will automatically be replaced when the reply is used, for example: @username or @op

Template for category replies
Discourse Voting
Best Practice: Creating local user guides
Canned Replies Plugin Update
Must reply to see the hidden link / Content
Feature request: Topic-specific reply template
Feature request: Topic-specific reply template
Are There By Any Chance Any Message Templates for PMs?
Canned Replies Plugin Update
How to handle users that don't really read the answers they get?

Random request but does this work with new topics as well as replies? We post a few of the same topics in multiple hidden forums and would benefit from this

(Andre Pereira) #3

Yes it does! It also works for private messages :wink:

(cpradio) #4

Are canned replies stored per user or shared amongst staff?

(Andre Pereira) #5

They’re shared among staff.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

This plugin is a fantastic idea! :slight_smile:.

So there’s not currently a way for regular users to use templates?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #7

@sam recognizing that this plugin is just out of the oven - what is the chance that we might eventually see this as an option on business hosting?

(Sam Saffron) #8

Honestly, I think it is ready enough for inclusion in business now.

@codinghorror should I add it?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Sure go for it works well so far! Business and higher as they have more staff to coordinate messages.

(Tobias Eigen) #10

Loving this new plugin - thanks so much for providing it! :sunflower:

An addition that would make it golden :crown: is merge tokens for user fields, e.g. {username} to replace with @username in the message. We also use a handful of custom user fields that we often refer to in messages to users as we help them with onboarding.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #11

If @username could also detect the user if you are replying directly to a post, that would be killer :tada:.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

It’s a good idea, is this possible @adrapereira?

(Eli the Bearded) #13

Probably a good idea to use an @ string that would not be allowed as a regular username. Isn’t @you on the list of (default) blocked names? That might be better.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

@username is already on the blocked list. I believe this is in site settings?

(Eli the Bearded) #15

Nevermind then. I missed it when I looked.

(Sam Saffron) #16

Which username is that?

The author of message?
Person I am responding to?
Person being quoted?
OP on pm?

(Tobias Eigen) #17

For new messages, the first person in the recipient list.
For topic and message replies, the person you are replying to.
For new topics, I don’t know. :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #18

well this is LOTS of magic :slight_smile: I would strongly recommend specific replacements for each case that is semantically clear.

EG:

@reply-to-user
@op

(Dean Taylor) #19

For reference Help Scout calls this kind of replacement “variables”, in their case the following “Saved Reply”:

Hi {%customer.firstName,fallback=there%},

Cheers,
{%user.firstName%}

Where customer is the person entity you are replying to. If the “customer” doesn’t have a “firstName” specified it falls back to the text “there”.

This tends to be the default template for me for a friendly reply, I then insert more “saved replies” inside this.

So inserting the above for me for a customer without a “firstName” specified would result in:

Hi there,

Cheers,
Dean

Hi @adrapereira
Am loving this plugin!

When using it for New Topics / New Messages would it be possible to have an option to prefill the Topic Title also as well as the content.

Thanks
Mike