Discourse-home-page

discourse-home-page

This Discourse plugin allows to set any existing Discourse page (a topic, a category, etc.) as the home page of your Discourse instance.

The repo is here:

https://github.com/sylque/discourse-home-page

This plugin is especially useful when used with DiscPage.

Settings

• discourse_home_page_enabled : set to true to enable the plugin

• discourse_home_page_path : path of the home page. For example /t/12 will set the home page to topic 12 and /c/5 will set the home page to category 5.

**** EDIT, NEW FEATURE:

You can support localized home pages by adding more values to
    discourse_home_page_path. For example, the following will redirect
    French-speaking users (as detected by Discourse) to topic 13,
    German-speaking users to topic 14 and all other users to topic 12.

/t/12
      fr,/t/13
      de,/t/14

Drawback

When the home page points to a topic, the url in the address bar is changed to the topic url.

Example: if your Discourse url is www.mydiscourse.org and you set the home page to /t/mytopic/12 , then any user coming to www.mydiscourse.org will see www.mydiscourse.org/t/mytopic/12 in the address bar.

Warning

This plugin ia based on a hack. There is no certainty it will keep working in future versions of Discourse, even though Iā€™ll do my best to maintain it.

There is this line in Discourse which might cause an issue, but I couldnā€™t get my Discourse instance to run through it. Please let me know if you can.

16 Likes

Thanks and I have another question is!
How to set homepage like this https://meta.discourse.org/
Currently the homepage I am displaying new posts and categories such as Categories - Discourse Meta

2 Likes

That can be achieved by setting your homepage to Latest Topics. You can make that change my running your siteā€™s setup wizard again and selecting Latest Topics in the Hompage step. Specifically, go to /wizard/steps/homepage to see this step. You wonā€™t need a plugin to set this.

3 Likes

Hi @Bcat.

If your question is ā€œHow do I set my home page to Latest Topicsā€, then see @osiokeā€™s answer above.

If your question is ā€œHow do I set my home page to an external websiteā€, then the answer is: it is not possible using this plugin.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, so itā€™s located /wizard/steps/homepage before I kept looking at settings.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am a newbie from France, I canā€™t find How to set homepage like this Categories - Discourse Meta

If you need to set the category page as your home page, I believe this plugin is not required. Just run the Discourse wizard (https://forum.yourdomain.com/wizard) and change the Homepage combo box.

1 Like

Hello! Iā€™m on v3.1.0 and this plugin has been working beautifully until ~last week. Didnā€™t change any settings, but Iā€™m now unable to promote any new posts to be featured. Is there anything I can look into to troubleshoot? Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like thereā€™s an update to the plugin. You can see if you have the updated version by going to /admin/plugins on your site. Do you have 05c0098 in the version column?

2 Likes

Hi @victoria1 . I donā€™t have any issue here with Discourse version 3.3.0.beta1-dev and Discourse-home-page version 1.0.6. Which version of the plugin are you using? (please check /admin/plugins as advised by @jericson)

3 Likes

I realize that the most recent versions of this plugin (>= 1.0.5) might no be backward compatible with older Discourse versions. Would you please give me the address of your forum? (no need for full access, the public landing page is enough) This would allow me to have a better look.

2 Likes

Thank you for looking into this! :pray:

1 Like

@victoria1, Iā€™ve deployed a new version of the plugin (v1.0.7) which I hope will solve your issue. Please try it and let me know.

(for reference, the issue is tracked down here)

3 Likes

Oh wow, amazing! Thank you so much, @syl! :pray:

It looks like 2/3 of my posts with the ā€˜featuredā€™ tag are showing up. Trying to figure out whatā€™s different with the 3rd. All have at least 1 image to use as the thumbnail and I tried removing and re-adding the tag.

1 Like

@victoria1, the discourse-home-page plugin doesnā€™t relate to ā€˜featuredā€™ posts. Are you sure your problem is caused by this plugin?

I thought so, but happy to be wrong :sweat_smile:

The ā€˜featuredā€™ tag is just the tag I chose to elect posts for the discourse-home-page plugin!

Hmm, thatā€™s what I thought: this thread is about the discourse-home-page plugin, whereas your problem relates to the discourse-homepage-feature-component plugin :slight_smile: So you might want to ask here.

1 Like

Ack! Yes. Thank you for your time + sorry to have wasted it :pray:

1 Like