Discourse jumps back 20 posts in post history when navigating to new topic, again

“Discourse jumps back 20 posts in post history when navigating to new topic” is locked. So, thought I should inform/warn you…

Observing on forum v1e com

1 Like

Can you please post a more detailed reproduction description along with platforms and browser. I am not seeing this bug again yet.

3 Likes

Hello Lilly, sure thing, thank you for the question. Previously shared details myself and other forum member are seeing at :

https://forum.v1e.com/t/forums-everything-menu-gone-links-working-not-as-good/39626/6?u=azab2c

Repro Steps:
When navigating to a previously read topic, that’s since been updated…

Expected: Auto scroll to the last post I read, whether or not there’s newer posts.
Actual: Displays 20th from the last post.

Env: Win 10. Same behavior on Chrome 116, and Firefox 116.

3 Likes

1 Like

I think forum.v1w.com is on stable branch. So the fix from end of August is not necessary included there.

5 Likes

More detailed repro steps incase that helps…

• Visit https://forum.v1e.com
  • Click on “Latest”
  • Click on Topic I’ve previously read
  • Topic is displayed.
  • Expected: Last post should be viewed.
  • Actual: 20th to last post is displayed. Vertical scroll say the last 418/418 post is displayed, however it’s lying! The post content viewable is the 20th from last. Scrolling main body of text (e.g. press up or down key) results in the vertial scroll bar finally revealing the truth that 398/418 post is, unexpectedly being displayed.

Sharing script error observed, don’t know if it’s relevant/interesting…

Cheers!

2 Likes

I think Moin is right. Checking that forum out, it does appear to be on the stable version and won’t pick up the fix for this until the next stable release.

Are you the admin for that forum?

1 Like

No. Ryan (who shares free designs for mostly printed CNCs, Printers and other machines on v1e.com) is the Admin. Have shared this topic with Ryan, am happy to share info that lets us self help.

4 Likes

I am wondering if you observed this behaviour after searching & posting a link to a post?

I have found if I search info and post a link to a topic post in a reply. The old topic will show as having new replies starting at the post I had linked in another topic.

I am on Test Pass

I just experienced something very like this here on meta on mobile (iPhone). From the front page, some way down it, visited a topic with a few new posts, read those (which involved scrolling down) then returned with the back button to find myself positioned several screens further down than I should be.

2 Likes

That forum is hosted with Communiteq. When you’re looking for help with technical issues, please reach out to our support channel first.

We’re happy to move that forum to the tests-passed branch. We just need the owner to contact our support for that.

4 Likes

I’m away from home so using my phone a lot. This is repeatable and annoying! As a workaround I’m training myself to scroll to top before hitting the back button.

If you suffer too please heart the head post.

Please don’t tell me my phone is too old to work properly.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 15_7_9 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6.6 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1

1 Like

We can’t repro it on a tests-passed version. I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it may be a phone thing… :frowning:

Hopefully someone else can repro and give us more to go on. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

iOS 15.7 is one year and two weeks old?

If we count in minor updates, 15.7.9 is only two weeks old.

2 Likes

For my problem, you need to be in a list-of-topics view and click on a topic with lots of unreads, so you land far from the bottom of that topic. Then scroll down some way, then navigate back.

It strikes me now that this might be a kind of opposite problem to what the OP reports. But they both have to do with positioning on navigation.

1 Like

The important thing here is the Webkit engine. Unfortunately Apple don’t ‘backport’ Safari features/fixes to old iOS versions. So Safari on iOS 15 is 1-2 years out-of-date :cry:

But to be clear: our browser support policy currently includes iOS 15, so we’re very happy to investigate and try to fix any iOS15-related Discourse issues. We just mentioned it here because it might be the reason that @Ed_S is the only one reporting this issue here on Meta.

5 Likes

Two observations: if I select “Desktop Mode” then all is well. And, on a borrowed Android phone of similar vintage, all is well.

Android user agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; K) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/117.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36

My iPhone user agent in Desktop Mode
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6.6 Safari/605.1.15

So, perhaps, it’s not that my phone can’t do the right thing, it’s that some library is choosing to do the wrong thing.

1 Like

I’m starting to see this again now I have my new iPhone. No exact repro yet, but I’ve been bounced up a 'page’ worth of posts a couple of times now.

I’ve inconsistently seen this (again) on my Android phone as well.

I’m receiving feedback from users having multiple reports of experiencing this issue on latest-release branch (3.2.0.Beta2) on mobile. If we can help in any way to identify the issue, please let us know.

1 Like