Discourse jumps back 20 posts in post history when navigating to new topic

I’ve noticed that recently when I click on the number of new messages of a topic (next to its title in latest for instance) it sometime (unclear as for the condition for a repro) doesn’t land where it should.
Not sure if it’s related to this 20 messages jump as I was thinking some lazy loading of images… :thinking: .
Occurred on meta too (just now in this topic: Secure Uploads).

2 Likes

Same happened to me here in Meta in the same topic: I clicked on Secure uploads from Announcements via the left menu. My first thought a post was edited, but it wasn’t. Then I saw this topic.

I checked several topics ranging from 40+ to 700+ posts on my own forum and everything is fine there. :man_shrugging:

Edit: While perusing my own forum I just now had this happen on an old topic with 47 posts. I was taken to post #28 instead of to the end.

2 Likes

We see the same on our forum.
I think it’s also related to this thread:

4 Likes

I can replicate this on a few devices. :+1:

Someone has been assigned to look into it, so will hopefully have a fix soon.

10 Likes

Yep 100% that’s what it is, seeing this too. Major issue. Very disorientating, even more so on mobile.

2 Likes

Noticing this on our forum also, starting almost exactly at the same time as the Templates starting.

3 Likes

Can anyone confirm this bug is still happening after FIX: Correctly reset `controllerReady` prop (#18727) · discourse/discourse@589a249 · GitHub?

That fix landed around 2022-10-24T21:00:00Z

3 Likes

I can confirm. :raised_hand: It’s been happening to me this morning on my Android.

And on Windows 11/Firefox too (just checked)

5 Likes

Updated my forum, it’s still happening.

It’s pretty consistant to reproduce, simply scrolling (even a single pixel) before posts are completely loaded and the position is jumping 20 posts.

3 Likes

Still happening on my forum, in both website & mobile

3 Likes

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: it happens to me much less then before but still happens sometimes.

I checked on mobile and desktop.

Android 12
Chrome 106.0.5249.126

MacOS 12.4
Chrome 105.0.5195.125

2 Likes

I have the distinct impression that’s it’s worst on mobile? Is it possible? I just looked at 10 new posts on my forum on my phone, all 10 times I was moving 20 posts back. On desktop, I have the impression that if I don’t scroll before loading, it’s more stable.

IMO this problem is serious, the changes responsible should be reverted ASAP until everything in working order. It’s breaking the forum in a major way.

2 Likes

The changes are already reverted (DEV: Revert topic loading async changes by CvX · Pull Request #18757 · discourse/discourse · GitHub) but haven’t landed on tests-passed branch yet because of the issues in our internal CI process. Should be up within an hour.

update: the revert is now on tests-passed

To be able to reproduce the issue consistently it’s required to either use a slower device (or a device under heavy load) or under worse network conditions. That’s why mobile could be more affected more often.

10 Likes

Yet another very recent bug replicated with a vegence in beta14

Here is the old but locked for reference:

1 Like

I’ve reopened the topic and slid your post across to keep the reports grouped together. :+1:

Could you give some repro steps to confirm it’s the same issue?

2 Likes

I noticed it on mobile, and thought “oh is this that bug again…”, behaviour same as outline din this topic.

1 Like

I cannot repro this in the same way as last time. :thinking:

What device/browser are you using, and what buttons are you pressing when you experience it? (topic list, notifications, unread, sidebar…)

1 Like

Spotted it on Safari - iOS 14.x

1 Like