|Summary||Discourse Newsletter Integration adds customizable newsletter subscription services to your instance.|
|Install Guide||How to install plugins in Discourse|
- Admins can configure a global newsletter that will be synced with a mailing list in the newsletter provider.
- Users are able to subscribe to the newsletter from a site banner
- Once the banner is dismissed, it won’t appear again for the user.
- A checkbox is added to the user preferences page (
/my/preferences/emails), allowing users to change their newsletter subscription at any time.
- Subscribers are added or removed from the linked mailing list in the newsletter provider via their API when users subscribe or unsubscribe.
- The plugin syncs the subscription status between Discourse and the newsletter provider.
- Currently, the plugin supports Mailchimp as the newsletter provider and only one global newsletter for all users. Support for additional providers and newsletters limited to groups is planned for future releases.
To enable the plugin, you can use the toggle on your
/admin/plugins page, or by checking the
discourse newsletter integration enabled admin setting. You can also access the plugin’s settings from this page too:
Users will see a banner about the newsletter, allowing them to subscribe or dismiss it. This banner can be customized to suit your forum’s needs better, and will only be visible if all settings related to the plugin are configured. Once dismissed, the user will not see it again but can choose to subscribe from their preferences page.
You can customize the subscribe banner text from the admin panel. Here are the customizable labels for the banner:
You can also customize the name of your newsletter on what each user sees in their preferences page:
There are three Discourse site settings related to the Mailchimp integration:
|discourse newsletter integration mailchimp api key||API key for your Mailchimp account.|
|discourse newsletter integration mailchimp list id||The ID of your Mailchimp Audience that you want to sync with Discourse.|
|discourse newsletter integration mailchimp server prefix||The subdomain part of the URL that you see when you log into your Mailchimp account, e.g.
To generate an API key, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the API Keys section of your account.
- Click Create New Key.
- Name your key.
- Click Generate Key.
- Click Copy Key to Clipboard. Save your key someplace secure.
- Click Done.
Each Mailchimp audience has a unique audience ID (sometimes called a list ID) that integrations, plugins, and widgets may require to connect and transfer subscriber data. The audience ID is generated by Mailchimp’s system when the audience is created and cannot be changed.
To find your audience ID, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Audience
- Select the Audience you want
- Click the Settings drop-down and choose Audience name and defaults.
- In the Audience ID section, you’ll see a string of letters and numbers. This is your audience ID.
Log into your Mailchimp account and look at the URL in your browser. You’ll see something like
us19 part is the server prefix. Note that your specific value may be different.
This plugin has basic functionality and works well, but here are some known issues we will be handling in the future:
After setting up the Mailchimp integration and establishing audiences for a newsletter, if you change to a new account (via site settings), audiences won’t be synced with the new account.
Hosted by us? This plugin is available on our Enterprise plan.