Discourse Notifier

The discourse-notifier’s tries to increase user engagement by sending notifications for the most relevant topics based on his previous reads. The site users have a choice to use this setting or not, by default it remains off.

Installation

Install the plugin by following the Install Plugin instructions. The plugin’s repository address is

https://github.com/jahan-ggn/discourse-notifier

About

This plugin enables the site admin to control the notification level of its users based on frequently visited categories and tags.

Features

Select Cron Pattern Value: This field specifies the number/Value for the pattern selected in the above field.

Discourse Notifier select n week data: This field decides how many previous week’s data to be considered.

Discourse Notifier top n categories: This field decides the number of categories from the top categories of the user’s most viewed topics.

Discourse Notifier top n tags: The input in this field decides the top tags that will influence the notifications similar to categories.

Discourse Notifier set category notification level: The admin can decide the level of notifications based on categories.

Discourse Notifier set tag notification level: Similar to the categories, the site admin can also set the level of notification for tags.

Notification Level Options Mean

Muted: 0

Normal: 1

Tracking: 2

Watching: 3

Example:

Cron Pattern:- minute

Cron Pattern Value:- 5

Select n weeks data:- 10

Top n categories:- 3

Top n tags:- 3

Category Notification Level:- Watching

Tags Notification Level:- Watching

Every 5 minutes the plugin will repeat and the top 3 categories and 3 tags will be revised considering last 10 week’s activities and notification level will change to watching

Note:

All the fields are named with a prefix “discourse notifier” to make it easy for the admin to search them in the settings

The plugin provides a setting through which a site user can refuse to change its notification level. The site users have a choice to use this setting or not, by default it remains off.

The setting is provided at /preferences/profile section named as Allow site to change your notification level of frequently visited categories and Allow site to change your notification level of frequently visited tags

As per the discussion response, I will change the category setting to preferences/categories location and tag setting to preferences/tags location.

12 Likes

This plugin has a lot of potential!

One question: is there a user preference option where a user can refuse to have its notifications changed using this plugin? I’m guessing that some users might like to keep their notification levels unchanged no matter what.

2 Likes

Thank you for using my plugin and thanks for your valuable feedback.

Currently a user preference option is not implemented but i will keep this in my mind, and revert to you as this feature gets added in my plugin

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d be very careful about using this. Taking this kind of control away from the user is extremely dangerous and at the very least will cause notification fatigue. At the most, rage.

9 Likes

Indeed, this steps well outside the accepted realm of browser notifications.

I typically uninstall any app which sends me unsolicited notifications.

6 Likes

@Paracelsus your said user setting is implemented and the plugin is updated, through which a user can refuse to change its notification level by the plugin

The setting is provided at /preferences/profile section named as Allow site to change your notification level of frequently visited categories and Allow site to change your notification level of frequently visited tags

As per the discussion response, I will change the category setting to preferences/categories location and tag setting to preferences/tags location.

@HAWK thanks for sharing your view. Accordingly, the update is under implementation.

The plugin changes the notification level of categories, based on the most read topics by the user and the number of categories that are to be selected for recommendation is set by the site admin. But changing the notification level at every cron might end up in resulting different notification levels for many categories which in turn might frustrate the user with a huge number of notifications.

Now to avoid this, the plugin provides a setting that allows user to refuse to change its notification level. The site users have a choice to use this setting or not, by default it remains off.

Now, I am implementing a feature where every time the cron task is repeated, the notification levels set for the categories will no longer be effective and only the top categories that came up in the next cron will be taken into consideration for the notifications without changing their notification level. For eg if the site admin has chosen 5 top categories, then every cron, will be affecting only 5 categories in existence and the previously affected categories and tags will be discarded.

2 Likes

@Stephen the setting for the user to refuse the changing of notification level is implemented and the plugin is updated. The site users have a choice to use this setting or not, by default it remains off.

2 Likes

Sorry my english is not my native language

I installed this plugin
then we decided that we would no longer use
we removed him, but he left this (printscreen)

This appears even as the plugin uninstalled

1 Like