Discourse+Plesk+Wordpress Same DigitalOcean Droplet 4GB 2 AMD CPUS

Hello everyone,

Currently, I have Wordpress running on a managed cloud server with Cloudways and my Discourse is on a subdomain hosted on a DigitalOcean droplet. I’m looking to consolidate these to streamline operations, aiming to get a single monthly bill rather than paying separately for Cloudways and DigitalOcean.

I’m considering migrating and hosting both Discourse and Wordpress using Plesk on a single DigitalOcean droplet equipped with 4GB RAM and 2 AMD CPUs. Do you think this setup would support both platforms smoothly? Or would it be more prudent to separate them onto two different droplets, each with 2GB of RAM and 1 vCPU? I do plan on upgrading the server later down the line, but I’m looking for the most efficient and economical setup for now.

1 Like

Hi :wave:

It will depend on your forum’s size and activity mostly (let’s assume that your Wordpress doesn’t drain many resources).

I have a 2 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM VPS on which I have Plesk, several Wordpress websites and a low activity Discourse, and everything’s running very fine. I think it should run well with 4 GB RAM as well.

The best would be to start on the specs you’re describing and have the possibility to upscale if you face limitations.

1 Like