Discourse Staff Alias

:discourse2: Summary Discourse Staff Alias allows set groups to create topics and posts, as well as make edits, as an alias user.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-staff-alias
:open_book: Install Guide How to install plugins in Discourse

The Discourse Staff Alias plugin allows certain groups to create topics and posts, as well as make edits, as an alias user. This can be useful in situations where staff members need to respond to queries or make announcements without revealing their personal usernames.

Enabling Staff Alias

Once installed, the Staff Alias plugin can be enabled from its settings, accessed from your admin/plugins page:

This plugin is default disabled, and before enabling a new username for the alias must be added to the staff alias username admin setting:

Using the Alias

Once enabled, the staff alias can be toggled on using the composer’s actions drop-down, and users in the allowed groups can then choose to create topics and posts, as well as make edits, using the staff alias:

The topic/post/edit will then appear as if created by the staff alias:

Keeping track of who used the Alias

If you are in one of the allowed groups you will also see a note of who created the topic or post, or made the edit:

Settings

Name Description
staff alias enabled Enable discourse-staff-alias plugin
staff alias username Username of the alias user
staff alias allowed groups Groups that are allowed to post as staff alias user

:discourse2: Hosted by us? This plugin is available on our Enterprise tier.

38 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can the Staff Alias also be used for replies?

It seems we can’t add an existing user account. Why is that?
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 12.17.48

There’s a chance I made a mistake when writing up the instructions. :slight_smile:

I also can’t get an existing user to be a staff alias now I test it again, which makes sense when I think about it. I’m not sure what led me to believe it was possible. :thinking: I’ll update the instructions. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks! It’s a shame because I think it makes it unified when all staff members can use the site name or like a ‘master’ account that already exists. For example @Discourse

4 Likes

when i test to create subject, i received the error message :frowning:

Does your staff alias user have the right permissions to create a topic in that category? (do they have staff permissions)

1 Like

Yes this is the problem … :man_facepalming:

thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its not possible to response on message replay on user with option staff alias i receive the error same above but if i use staff aliase to respond on message subject is ok