Email excerpts rather than full posts

I would like all emailed posts (meaning both interactions and digest) to be excerpts rather than full posts.

Can this be done?

There is a site setting to disable email leaking any site content (replacing it with generic text) for super private sites, but that’s it.

2 Likes

Have you resolved this problem? I also want to send email in excerpt rather than full post but have no guide to do this.

Hiya,
no, i haven’t.

2 Likes

I think have only way is edit Email Template and Remove %{message} in the Email Body and replace with some text.

VĂ o Th 7, 3 thg 8, 2019 lĂşc 00:37 Dani1 via Discourse Meta meta@discoursemail.com Ä‘ĂŁ viáşżt:

i’ve been thinking of just suppressing all emails and send out a (manual) weekly digest through my email service. haven’t gotten that far yet, though.

I don’t mind a setting here, is anything in place that could do this @neil? Max length of email or something?

3 Likes

Should be easy to add one.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/views/email/notification.html.erb#L8

7 Likes

Sure let’s do that if it is easy.

2 Likes

It means I will edit Discourse core code?
I’m a newbie.

I try and it show: cd: /var/discourse/app/views: No such file or directory

No, you can update now and you will get the new feature.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/4b9d35cd0e6d2050f8103f9b5314fe43000f5e42

Enable the new setting “post excerpts in emails”:

10 Likes

Wonderful!
Thank you!

Hi @neil, I update and check but First Post still send full post

@tohaitrieu What do you mean that the first post still sends the full post? Did you set the “post excerpt maxlength” to what you want? Please post a screenshot of the email if you can.

3 Likes

Hi @neil

This is my settings:

And my Email:

Email will sent full Post when I post new topic

@neil: Can you check this problem?

Email sent full post content without html format so terrible.

My post have about 1000 - 2000 words and It’s not good, have no traffic to website if my user can read full post via email.

Thank you!

@tohaitrieu I can’t reproduce it. Your settings look correct. I tested emails for a new topic in a watched category, and they showed excerpts in the email. I tested mailing list mode to see if that’s what you were using, but it also only showed excerpts. You’ll need to give me more details about what you’re doing. For example, which plugins do you have installed?

3 Likes

@neil this is my plugin list:

Ok I don’t see anything in there that could cause it. Any other ideas?

2 Likes