###Enhancement Request: User Menu UI Shortcuts for Notifications
My main workflow with Discourse forums is to display the User Menu (aka Profile Menu?) to see changes (notifications) to my subscribed topics.
####Please enhance the UI to make it easy to use keyboard shortcuts to view, select, and display each item on this menu. My preference would be these:
- “p” – display/hide the User Menu (this already exists)
- Actually I’d prefer “u” (for User) or “m” for member, but I see “u” is already used for “back” (I don’t get the connection between “u” and “back”).
- “UpArrow” and “DwnArrow” – move the selection up and down the menu
- “RETURN” – display the selected item/post
I have read that “TAB” and “SHIFT-TAB” are provided for navigation of the menu, but I have two issues with that:
- It is not reliable. Sometimes TAB moves the focus in the web page, sometimes in the menu, even while the menu is shown.
- IMO, most users would expect the arrow keys to work for navigation here, like in all menus. Although technically it may not be a “standard” popup menu, to the user it appears as if it is a popup/dropdown menu/list.
- When the User Menu is displayed, I think it is reasonable that the user would expect the primary navigation to be focused on the menu/list, not the web page.
- So if the user wants to navigate the web page, a simple “p” will close the User Menu
Many thanks for your kind consideration of this request.