“Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed” after update

digital ocean, 2gb, 1cpu

i’ve done

cd /var/discourse/
./launcher rebuild app

and get this:

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:402: container init caused \"invalid argument\"": unknown.

what happened and how to fix it?

Try with a git pull and then rebuild the app again.

Docker isn’t functioning on your server – you’ll need to fix that before anything else.

3 Likes

i complete git pull and rebuild, but this is not help.

i was check docker (launch other image) - he is work fine.

maybe i wil get you anything logs?

I’m running into this same issue while trying to rebuild on via digital ocean. The error seems to pop up at the very end of the rebuild. Did anybody ever find a solution here?

Might also be worth noting that I can’t run the following command as suggested in the instructions to update docker since the digital ocean console seemingly doesn’t allow you to write the ‘|’ symbol.
wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh

Docker version: 18.09.0

If you are getting that weird “error response from daemon” message then I can guarantee you that Docker isn’t set up right on your server, same as my earlier response in this topic.

Thanks Jeff. I had a feeling it wasn’t a Discourse-specific error. Anyway, I realized that my hostname was too long! :confounded: (See thread here: https://github.com/opencontainers/runc/issues/1437)

Anyway, just something to watch out for in the case people are using digital ocean. Especially if you are restoring an older droplet, in which case digital ocean will by default append a bunch of stuff to your hostname, which is what happened in my case.

6 Likes

That is very good to know!

1 Like

I got the same problem… my host name is not too long, is anyone able to help me out please?

1 Like

It has been fixed by @Ahmed_Gagan - thanks a lot for your help man!

2 Likes