Explain, how changes in group subscriptions alter existing settings (or: how to implement opt out announcement lists via tags)

I try to manage announcement-lists via tags, to allow users to opt out from announcements/invitations.
For any group of invitations/announcements, I create a tag.
Then I add this tag to individual user groups to the watch-first-post property.

When saving the new preferences, I can choose, If the new preferences should apply to new or all users in the group.

What happens to already existing preferences, If I add a new or remove an old tag?

What I want: alter the preference for each existing user, but keep individual changes:

When a user subscribed to a tag by own action, a subscription should not be removed, if I remove the preference for the group.

When a new tag is added to the group preference “watch first post”, users should be subscribed to this new tag, but all other individual settings should be not touched.

I would like to understand (a) how changes in the group preferences act on individual subscription and (b) if the current implementation is able to discriminate between “subscription inherited by group membership” and “individual change to subscription, inherited by group memberships”.

1 Like