Feedback on my forum, BlackIron

Hey!

Me, @crcoli7307, @GamersInternational, @Laventino, and a few other people have been working to finish our forum for the past few days, and we think it’s ready for some community input now.

Here it is: https://community.blackiron.dev/

Any feedback on it is appreciated. Thanks!

10 Likes

Hi @darkpixlz. :wave:

I moved this to #community, and removed some replies, so we can have a fresh start for receiving feedback for your new community.

:tada:

10 Likes

I’d find a banner, at least for anon visitors, helpful: just giving a short intro what the community is about and a few ctas what to do. Sth simliiar to the one here on meta.

6 Likes

I like it. I like how you are using a lot more features of badges, unlike the dev forum. One thing I would change is the bug reporting badges is just for reporting and it not needing to be solved. And why do you need a group and a badge for Forum Managers? I think you only need 1.

5 Likes

The badge is automatic I think for when you join the group, it’s just so they can be identified by their user card.

2 Likes

What about titles and flairs given by the group. Those show in the user card.

3 Likes

Yeah more custom badges are fun and a good fit! You could arrange the order of the badge-groupings, so your custom badges show up on top of the badges page. Could also theme the trust levels badges with custom names and icons.

Another idea: You could use less colors on categories, a huge mix doesn’t really help for more intuitive navigation. Similar to badges that stand out, you could style some tags to highlight topics. I sometimes do that by forking my component to define unique styles: Colored Tag Styles

4 Likes

People (like myself) have a custom title and dont use the forum manager flair

4 Likes

I use the forum manager flair :wink:

3 Likes

I did the new user wizard, if any of you want to try it out :wink:

3 Likes

It’s hot off the press! Man headbashed his keyboard for like 5 hours trying to figure it out.

3 Likes

I have updated the link, sorry!

3 Likes

There are 2 search banners. I think keep the banner above is clean and tidy. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The search banner in the body is only there for logged out users

3 Likes

I really like this @darkpixlz, the creativity and work you have put into this community really is next level. I can see how you customized it and added more features to make the base Discourse image even better. Way to go!

3 Likes

I have no idea what the community is about or for…
The large search banner a good idea and basically works as a CTA. As mentioned though you have two and probably should remove one. Just keep one and have it for logged in and logged out.

2 Likes

I might remove the search header as I like the topbar one more, and its for a game Im mking with a studio, thanks fof the feedback!

4 Likes

I updated the link for anybody who wants to give new feedback.

2 Likes

What kind of SQL query did you apply for this badge Bot badge on BlackIron? I’ve created one too, which should assign the badge to the 2 bots on my forum, but nothing happens. The preview of the badge assign does show these 2 accounts. Did you manually assign them? More general question, are bots excluded from getting most badges? Even if they do should get it?

2 Likes

I just grant it manually lol

3 Likes