Gated Topics in Category

:discourse2: Summary Gated Topics in Category allows site admins to show a login prompt that covers the topic contents in specific categories or tags to encourage readers to sign up and log in.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-gated-topics-in-category
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

Here are the settings for this theme component:

Name Description
enabled categories Choose which categories users need to sign up for
enabled tags Choose which tags users need to sign up for. The default is ‘gated’.
heading_text Customize the header text
subheading_text Customize the subheading text
signup_cta_label Customize the signup CTA label
login_cta_label Customize the login CTA label

:star_struck: Thanks to these fine folks for helping build it: @pmusaraj, @tshenry, and @CvX

:discourse2: Hosted by us? Theme components are available to use on our Standard, Business, and Enterprise plans.

56 Likes

Oh my god, this is epic! I already feel that this should eventually become part of core :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you for this, its more than useful because i have daily almost 80-120 000 pageviews trough organic traffic but barely new members, this is gonna change it!

Thank you again @ella

1 Like

This is a good job!
The design is sophisticated.

I also like guest gate.

3 Likes

thank you, this is awesome!

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: How to show the gate further down in the post?

@ella I love your plugin and I really wish it had the ability to customize the login and Signup URL, would this be possible with an update?

Hi is it possible to set a trust level for this component? So instead of signing up I would get users to reach level 2 before viewing the content. As i’m trying to avoid users just registering for free and not participating in the forum growth overall.

2 Likes

You should have a look at this plugin Advertise activity in a private category (discourse-category-lockdown)

5 Likes

It’s works with search engine? is the content still crawlable by robots?

Hopefully not, because lying to Google that content is free and that’s why good to show as search result is really fast way to kill all SEO.

1 Like

You can have your cake and eat it too - you don’t have to lie to Google in order to have it crawlable.

The Category Lockdown plugin lets Googlebot in and uses structured data to indicate that it’s paywalled content.

2 Likes