Get rid of mobile-desktop toggle from mobile sidebar

Continuing the discussion from Can't post message using desktop view on mobile:

As we are not meant to use desktop view on mobile, the toggle allowing us to enter desktop view should be removed from the sidebar, at least for all screen sizes that can’t cope with desktop view.

Thanks for considering this “feature un-request” / “un-feature request”!

yea it’s a bit redundant but a lot of users don’t know how to change views via browser, so the function helps that way. i change a lot on my ipad but i usually use the browser text method.

We switch between mobile/desktop views by detecting the browser’s user agent… and this isn’t always 100% accurate, so these buttons can help in a “worst case” scenario where you find yourself in the wrong view.

7 Likes

that’s a great point.

Maybe just remove it in cases when you’re 100% sure the user shouldn’t enter desktop mode. Unless those cases don’t exist! :slight_smile:

The toggle seems to have disappeared! :slight_smile:

I think the best solution would be to have it removed/hidden by default, and user selectable if so desired by the individual user, perhaps make it so that the default is controlled by admin setting.

It is also nice to have the switcher available, when debugging themes, since mobile view on desktop sometimes gets caught/frozen… when I cannot remember the querystring to manually set the desired view mode, I use the developer tools to change the view class of the HTML root element.

There are three situations AFAIK when that toggle is needed or wanted:

• mobiles when docs plugin and filters are in use
  • tablets because every now and then desktop view is not suitable and vice versa
  • when a desktop user wants the cleanest and monimalistic view and doesn’t owe a 22 inch screen

And yes, it could be another user setting.

2 Likes