I intend to ask a moderation related query about a Discourse-powered
forum that I am managing. In the current setup,
I have adopted the moderation policy of manually approving each account
and every posts. I am doing this to prevent against the forum to be attacked
by trolls. I am quite content with the current setup although am
looking for a way to improve the moderation queue. I would like to
remove the moderation flag for trusted contributors, so they don’t need
any moderation approval to create new topics or reply to other users. Is
there a good and recommended way to do so?

1 Like

You are able to achieve this by making it so that once a user reaches TLx their posts or topics don’t need to be approved. Search approve in the forum settings.

7 Likes

Discourse had built in tools to protect against that. Have you had trouble? If so, you can modify the trust level settings to limit who can get promoted.

3 Likes

Thank you to both!

I have resorted to this solution for now but here’s some questions (and issues I am running into) :

1. I have a particular category which is simply a mirror of a mailman mailing list. Earlier I didn’t have to approve this post additionally on the forum but after changing the trust level settings, I am having to manually approve each and every message from these ‘staged accounts’ (user who post on the mailing list but don’t have a forum account). Is there a good way to change this behavior?

2. Apart from the trust level setting, I also have these settings per Category:
    Require moderator approval of all new topics
    Require moderator approval of all new replies

Hence, I am still having to approve everything. I guess, I will have to uncheck these, but can it have any unintended consequences?

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am afraid it’s not really a Discourse specific issue. For instance, some people would sign up with throwaway email accounts just to post spam; manually approving accounts has been of great help in this regard.

1 Like

You can also use akismet if you’re not already.

2 Likes