Google will be treating nofollow links differently

Google announced that it will not be treating the rel="nofollow" attribute as a signal any more, but as a hint. The background is that so many CMS’es are designating every link as nofollow.

They’re introducing two new hints: ugc for user generated content and sponsored for paid links.
For the UGC, they’re explicitly mentioning forums.

My opinion is that this is a big step forward, since the vast use of nofollow was killing the idea behind PageRank.

Full announcement here: Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Evolving “nofollow” – new ways to identify the nature of links

15 Likes

Changing the code to use “nofollow ugc” seems like a fairly straightforward and safe thing for Discourse to do.

The above is my personal opinion and not necessarily that of Google, LLC

3 Likes

It it valid to use both? Should it just be “ugc” now? I am unclear.

From that blog’s FAQ:

Can I use more than one rel value on a link?
Yes, you can use more than one rel value on a link. For example, rel=“ugc sponsored” is a perfectly valid attribute which hints that the link came from user-generated content and is sponsored. It’s also valid to use nofollow with the new attributes – such as rel=“nofollow ugc” – if you wish to be backwards-compatible with services that don’t support the new attributes.

3 Likes

What “services” support nofollow other than Google?

2 Likes

Baidu, Yandex supports nofollow

Bing, as a hint

8 Likes

Can you assign this @eviltrout? I assume it is a very very simple change, almost a copyedit?

4 Likes

Hey @Roman_Rizzi this is probably an easy one, please take a look!

3 Likes

We’re now using nofollow ugc:

Latest Onebox version is using it too:

11 Likes

On 2.6.0.beta2 I’m getting rel="nofollow noopener" with no ugc attribute for external links. Anyone else?

Edit: Looked for a recent link posted on meta. Seems that it’s also the case here: What is this line for in a Discourse forum's RSS feed?

Not seeing the ugc attribute either, will take a look.

3 Likes

Fixed here:

Links will correctly use nofollow ugc now.

3 Likes