Guest Gate Theme Component

Hello @Damo,

Thanks for the report :slightly_smiling_face: I merged a fix for DiscourseConnect login link. Please update the theme component.

2 Likes

Just installed. I am wondering if anyone here who is using this component had any significant increase in signups? On average most of my guests visit 9-10 pages before leaving (or signing up). I’ve set the limit to three now and am eager to see if this will bring any meaningful results.

1 Like

Yes, sign-ups increase almost 10x. It’s a lead magnet but decreases your DAU/MAU by a lot since a lot of the new sign-ups are visiting your forum just once, especially those coming from search engines. A drip campaign trying to increase engagement might work luring one time visitors to revisit could help.

Thanks for the reply. But I guess it’s still better to go this route, at least they will get the discourse digest from time to time and (hopefully) some of them will come back.

Yes but the digest might be irrelevant. A more top content focused digest would help which you’d have to do it yourself.

1 Like

And that basically means a forum can’t offer what those users are looking for. Or it gives direct answer and that’s why users don’t return. Forum, blog, what ever — it just doesn’t matter how we call it, because all the time it reflects same thing: content and is that relevant to an user.

Bounces are totally normal situation. As long as it stays under 80 % everything is just fine. And DAU/MAU is just another metric and can’t bypass the most strongest rule: 90-9-1.

1 Like

Still seems to have issues. The Login is a url not a button now.

Also seems to have issue when updating the settings

Can you send me some screenshots about settings and the site url to check this?

Website https://discuss.bitrise.io/t/configuring-network-access-for-bitrise/21497

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I see now. This is because you using a custom code to make link looks like as button.

Update!

I reverted this change in theme component!

And the last update I changed the login <a> link to <span>.

Please change this code and add the span.sso-login to this.

This customization is on your theme_3 theme component.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 17.16.39

#discourse-modal.gate {
 .modal-footer {
    a,
    span.sso-login {
      outline: none;
      margin: 0 0.25em;
      padding: 4px;
      display: inline-flex;
      appearance: none;
      -webkit-box-align: center;
      align-items: center;
      -webkit-box-pack: center;
      justify-content: center;
      user-select: none;
      position: relative;
      white-space: nowrap;
      vertical-align: middle;
      outline: transparent solid 2px;
      outline-offset: 2px;
      border-width: 0.0625rem;
      border-style: solid;
      border-image: initial;
      border-radius: 4px;
      background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #7b3ba5, #421560);
      border-color: #7b3ba5;
      color: #f6f4f6;
      font-weight: 700;
      width: 100px;
    }
  }
}

After change :arrow_down_small:

I use an other method to fix the DiscourseConnect login link. So the hidden informations above are not relevant anymore.

Just a reminder :slightly_smiling_face: You can use buttons instead links by enable the use gate buttons setting :arrow_down_small:

2 Likes

Oh nice ye that fixes the issue thanks for the quick turn around.

This is a great component really helps drive sign ups!

1 Like

Guest Gate can be bypassed by disabling scripts in browser, is there any way to fix this?

Hope @dodesz doesn’t mind me responding here.

Almost certainly not.

This is a Theme Component that can’t influence the back end and API and is mostly JavaScript without which this (and all other) Theme Component(s) won’t function.

In the absence of JavaScript, Discourse Ruby on Rails will take over the rendering of site and will present it in a simple form. This is especially useful for crawlers and search engines.

This solution is necessarily a reasonable compromise meant to nudge people into signing up whilst maintaining SEO.

3 Likes

I figured I’d report here. After running this for two weeks, noticed no changes in signups whatsoever. I am on the same level as always (around 40-50 signups per day). I will still leave it, though. I like to be able to show a message to readers who lurk but don’t sign up.

2 Likes

Could it be, David, that the desire to ‘participate’ as opposed to just ‘reading’ is a particularly high percentage of those who visit your community?

I imagine this TC will help those communities more where ‘lurkers’ (who are oft content with just reading) are encouraged to sign-up to make it easier to continue to read?

2 Likes

Hey @Don

What do you think about a feature to trigger Guest Gate prompt when an anon user clicks on a thumbnail? Our goal is to encourage users to create accounts to see the full resolution images.
Also our community was asking for such feature.

1 Like

Hello, I am not sure we can trigger it to thumbnail click but I will check what we can do. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey @jrgong, I’ve merged this update. :slightly_smiling_face:

It will add a setting to turn this on.
Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 14.59.46

4 Likes

Thank you for the component! :heart:

It fits our basic needs perfectly for now and has already shown the results during 1 day since enabling it. Our signup rate increased x8, but we’ll see how it goes. Our main goal was to reduce excessive load on media server slightly and to encourage users to sign up to continue uninterrupted experience.

We only use “show when thumbnail clicked”, but it seems to me this option would work nicely if it was not exclusive and could work with topic views limit together.

4 Likes

First of all, thank you for this excellent component!

Is it also possible to specify a multiline text in the “custom_gate.little_text”. I just can’t manage to break the <p> tag and place line breaks there.

I appreciate any hint.

1 Like