Hamburger Theme Selector

Feature request! Can we get a section header for this? Without already knowing what at theme is, it’s not immediately apparent to users what these links are for. Granted, it doesn’t take but a click to figure it out, they may not be willing to experiment first. The section should have a (potentially a setting, for those who don’t want a title for that section.) This would also be important for accessibility purposes since there’s no other indication to a screen reader that there’s something different from the category list above.

3 Likes

Tricky, nothing else in the hamburger has a title, I guess, maybe, if we can link it somewhere?

2 Likes

Well, the Categories section is labeled. If it needs to be linked to somewhere, it would likely be the preferences page? /my/preferences/account/interface?

https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/interface

4 Likes

Yeah I guess we could link it to the place where you set defaults (provided you are logged on)

Only bit of uneasiness I have here is that the hamburger is already huge and this is giving it more vertical height.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s one reason I was thinking there might want to be a component setting for this. That way, for those who don’t want massive hugeness can turn it off if they like.

1 Like

Sure I am totally open to make a theme setting here.

4 Likes

@Heather_Dudley The section header is now merged, please update the Hamburger Theme Selector component to get the new setting!

10 Likes

Thank you so much! It looks good, except for one small problem. On mine, it’s got a stray bullet just above it:

There are no other list items on the menu, so I’m not quite sure where it came from. Stray asterisk, perhaps?

Mousing over the text shows the correct link, but clicking it reloads the page as though you clicked one of the themes instead of taking you to preferences.

4 Likes

Yeah @martin is investigating this rogue bullet item and should have it sorted soon.

6 Likes

@Heather_Dudley sorry about that not sure where our stray bullet point friend wandered in from. I’ve now merged in a fix for this!

6 Likes

Interesting, this seems not working now. I don’t know what it is conflict with.

While I think this is a very important and basic component, I think it should be integrated in the discourse system itself.

Working on meta so it must be conflicting with some other component or plugin you have installed

3 Likes

Apologies for asking this on a weekend, but does anyone know a way to re-order one’s respective themes? They’re ordered alphabetically, but I’d like my Light Theme to be put before my dark as it’s the default one; I’ve tried this but AFAIK it doesn’t apply due to it being displayed as “block” instead of “flex”. Is there any other way to re-order CSS elements that will work in this context? Great component by the way.

2 Likes

I usually avoid making these kind of suggestions, but since we can’t edit theme components anymore (easily at least), I wanted to submit an idea.

I find the * a bit simple to show which theme is selected, I like using instead

What do you think of this idea?

@b481 : the themes are ordered alphabetically, the easiest solution would be to rename your themes. The dark theme could be named Night Theme for example

3 Likes

second’d. and/or maybe the active theme could be bolded?

I know, but I’d prefer to be able to just reverse the order if possible. It’s not a big deal, just a minor nitpick.

1 Like

Not sure of the CSS coding still learning.

However you can create your own theme component with the CSS using an override. I think it uses !important in the Display css property.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, could this theme component be made to also show Color Palettes, perhaps with a setting to disable to enable that?

With the new feature here: Automatic Dark Mode color scheme switching Having the opposite color palette for easier access for users would be wonderful if they don’t want to switch this OS settings or dig out the colors in the interface menu in their account.

4 Likes

Ever since this theme component was updated last week, the members that use my Discourse instance have been unable to change their themes. All users were switched to the Default theme (Dark theme in this instance), changing the theme makes the asterisk move to that alternate theme, but there is no change to the theme itself. Any ideas on what I might need to do to remedy this issue?

1 Like

Have you also updated Discourse to the latest version available?

2 Likes

Yes, I performed the Discourse update first, and we are currently sitting at version 2.7.0.beta6

2 Likes