Sidebar theme toggle

:discourse2: Summary Sidebar Theme Toggle adds a theme selector in the sidebar menu’s footer provided there is more than 1 user selectable theme. This selector works with both logged-on users and anonymous users. Be sure to add this to all your user-selectable themes for easy toggling.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-sidebar-theme-toggle
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 10.44.04 AM

We may do some additional work here in the future to make this a more comprehensive menu that allows users to choose colors, font-sizes, and theme from one menu — but for now this grants sites the same basic behavior as the Hamburger Theme Selector! :rocket:

28 Likes

Will it work someday with iPhone/iPad too?

2 Likes

It should already work on mobile devices, but let us know if there are any issues!

3 Likes

Well… it doesn’t :wink: Not here, not on my own.

2 Likes

ah I see, I’ll have to double check the app, looks like the footer’s getting cut off there… thanks for mentioning it!

3 Likes

You are totally right. The issue is the Hub.

1 Like

This is a great idea for a component, but I’m having a little difficulty getting it to work. I’ve installed it and included it in all my themes but the drop-down doesn’t appear. If I toggle the “hide theme name” setting, the keyboard shortcut icon moves from the left side of the sidebar footer to the right, but no theme selector.

1 Like

Thanks Kris, unfortunately it’s not working on my site. Did a hard refresh of course, tried different themes that have no other components, don’t see anything relevant in the console or logs…

1 Like

Rebuild your instance. It will fix all of the issues mentioned above so far.

2 Likes

oh yes, I should have mentioned that if you haven’t updated Discourse in the past few days you should do that as well

4 Likes

I think I’m on the most recent version…

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 18.32.16

I’ll try rebuilding later. Our users tend to freak out a bit if the site goes offline with no warning.

3 Likes

You should consider this :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What about a dark theme selector? For light, dark and auto. That seems broken since I switched to the sidebar.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: While loading a new component on the site, the site is down

It would be nice to add color palettes as well. Is this possible?

Just create a separate Theme with a different name and configure its colour pallette differently. Done.

2 Likes

Weird thing on the Meta, the “Hidden Whispers” theme only appears when the current theme is “Central”, “Default (full-width)”, “Fully”, “Meta Branded”, or “redditish”. Example:

Default:

Screenshot 2024-03-31 11.09.25

redditish:

Screenshot 2024-03-31 11.10.03

Not sure if it’s relevant, but I noticed while writing this that the themes where “Hidden Whispers” shows up are also the ones where the reply box covers up the theme toggle.

Hidden Whispers also doesn’t have a description in the theme category that I can find. This appears to be the only other mention of its existence? I feel like I’m losing my mind :smile:

edit: This might not be related to this theme-commponent, I see the same behavior in the profile > interface > theme menu.

1 Like

That’s a theme that the staff uses in cases where they may be taking a screenshot of Meta or something similar and don’t want whispers to be included. We have a separate theme component meant to hide it from the themes list for normal non-staff accounts, but it wasn’t added everywhere.

I think it should be fixed now, it shouldn’t appear in the list for you while using any theme. Apologies for the confusion!

3 Likes

Ah, thank you for the clarification, the world makes sense again!

1 Like