Handling bouncing e-mails

@Alex_P, take a look at these posts.

2 Likes

I think it’s not related, it was not OpenID, just a standard signup.

Anyway my main question was not related to Yahoo:

1 Like

Oh, I must’ve misunderstood.

1 Like

I had this error before, but for a different IP address. It seems Yahoo is picky about some IP addresses, but I don’t think there’s really anything you can do to change their opinion of those addresses. Raise a support ticket at Mailgun and ask them to change your assigned IP address.

1 Like

Yeah, I created the ticket, they changed IP, but it’s banned by Yahoo too :joy:

But the question was not about Yahoo, it’s the same for all failed emails

1 Like

It’s not trying to send an email to a web page, that’s the address for your hook so that your forum knows the email was rejected.

3 Likes

No, it was saying that it’s spam (even though before and after that it worked fine :thinking:). There also was a link to mail.ru support form, I contacted them and they replied that it was fixed,

Ah, yeah, I just noticed that it says

It’s weird though that this entry in the log is marked as failed too. Is it normal?

And there is nothing in admin/email/bounced and admin/email/rejected :thinking:
And in the user profile (e.g. the yahoo one which still fails) the bounced email counter is 0.

1 Like

If your Discourse site setting is set to “login required” then you should use an API key to authenticate these incoming webhook requests, correct?

No. They should just work.

1 Like

Interesting in my environment, when I test the webhook without the API auth header, I get an error, when I add the api-key and api-user to the head, then I get a 200/OK.

3 Likes

What webhook are you using?

1 Like

For my webhook, I’m using: http://your.discourse/webhooks/postmark

In my case this is: https://discourse.clcohio.org/webhooks/postmark

1 Like

Hmm.

I know that I didn’t use an API key when I did my testing. Are you posting to that path? Something like:

post "/webhooks/postmark.json", params: {
        "Type" => "SoftBounce",
        "MessageID" => message_id,
        "Email" => email
      }

Does it work if you turn off login required? (If that’s the case, then it sounds like a bug.)

5 Likes

Does the forum need to have reply by email enabled in order to process bounces?

We tried using the reply by email feature, but it was adding a details block with three dots that would open and expose private email addresses and weird formatting. Screenshot:

Edit: I think it’s the same thing that is mentioned here.

I’m trying to get the forum to handle bounces from Amazon SES without turning on reply by email. (Or I’d turn on reply by email if there is a way to remove that expandable section at the bottom of the emailed posts.)

If there isn’t a way to do it, I’ll write a cloud function that manually unsubscribes users with the API when something bounces.

1 Like

Have you enabled always show trimmed content? It’s disabled by default

No I don’t think so. But you do need to configure the incoming mail path so that bounces reach Discourse.

4 Likes

That is off at the moment, so I’m assuming that it was off when we tested it. I’ll try again.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

2 Likes

Anyone know what happened to the option to automatically unactivate accounts that hit a bounce threshold? It looks like it was removed, was quite useful. I’ll probably just set the bounce reset threshold to something astronomically large instead.

Was not removed to my knowledge, but I remember emails being auto-disabled, not full account disabling.

4 Likes

Did you mean?

I’m not seeing bounce score threshold deactivate in my admin settings panel for 2.5.1 stable.

2 Likes

Yeah I believe that was the setting. It would deactivate the user account if they reach a set bounce score. Was quite useful for passively clearing out bad actors as many of them use throwaway emails for registration/confirmation that start bouncing later on. Especially the ones that make bulk accounts that they leave dormant for future usage.

1 Like