House Ads in the official Ad Plugin

Can you give more context here? When you say multiple of n posts, what number? This will make it easier for us to replicate and then see if it can be resolved.

1 Like

Hi @osioke and thanks for getting back to me.

For my forum, the settings look like this:

So, topics with 15 posts (or 30, 45, 60 etc) see two banners at the bottom.

1 Like

That helps, but based on your settings

That is to be expected.

I can’t say this will be worked on, but as you have shared it here, it is definitely on our radar.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, this is definitely expected behaviour based on my settings.

It would just be nice to be able to tweak the behaviour slightly (ie suppress one of the banners in this scenario). Thanks for noting this new idea.

3 Likes

Hi!,
This works great, however Is there any way to track house ads impressions (built in) or click through?

6 Likes

There is a setting no ads for groups
It didn’t work for me previously, because I had dots in the group names. It was fixed, when I changed . to - in the group name like group-name instead group.name

3 Likes

Is there a way to make this house ads plugin mobile responsive? 728 x 90 banner looks great on desktop but doesn’t shrink to fit the page on mobile…

2 Likes

Yes, have a look at the Responsive Banner Ad examples that are given in this topic: House Ad Templates.

2 Likes

Jesus… I feel like this is 2003. So you have to use a special html template followed by additional CSS, which goes where?

Why can’t we just upload a standard banner image and provide a destination URL like the rest of the world?

2 Likes

That would’ve worked fine back in 2003. Today you have desktop and phones. If you want to have an ideal experience on both then you have to make even your advertisements responsive.

If you don’t care, then just put a banner.

3 Likes

The CSS can be added to either your site’s active theme, or to a theme component that you include on all of your site’s active themes.

2 Likes

Hi neil,

What are the chances of this ‘ad after the first post then every N posts’ checkbox becoming a reality? Would be very useful, especially for quieter forums where some topics do not reach N posts!

Thanks
Maynard

1 Like

Is it possible to get delivery statistics on House Ads? I’m not sure that they are saved, but it would be good to be able to find this for my advertisers.

2 Likes

I’ve got a (hopefully not too dumb) question about how to test a prospective advert

What is the best way to trial a House Ad without displaying it to the whole Forum?

While they can be restricted by category and group, it is tricky to use this for testing purposes.

If I restrict it to just my private admin Category, it still shows up on /latest.
If I restrict it for everyone, nothing happens and everyone can see it.
If I restrict it for trust_level_0, I can’t see it but anon can.

The only three ways that I can see to do my testing of the Ads, and I don’t like any of them:

1. Do it late at night when nobody is using the site (ugggh)
  2. Make a group which is everyone except me and restrict it from them (ok for a once-off but quite an admin burden) and still visible to anon
  3. Use a staging instance to test it on (overkill)

Am I missing something?

3 Likes

Sounds like what you want is a staging site for testing.

2 Likes

I see how a staging site will resolve all the needs here, but your comment also hints at a possible feature for previewing ads which may or may not be on the roadmap yet. Good stuff!

3 Likes

I’m often guilty of treating #feature as #support. I don’t know a lot about that code, but a version of the way that we can test plugins seems like it would be hard to do for ads. It would be cool though!

2 Likes

Should I put in a separate feature request?

2 Likes

Sure thing! It would be helpful to have that as a tracking tool, I can’t speak to if it will be developed though as it may be harder to implement.

1 Like

Is there a way that I can show only in-house ads to logged in users? I’ve excluded logged-in users from google ads, but I’d like to still show in-house ads to logged in users.

Additionally I’d like to hide in house ads from subscribers, but that can wait until I implement subscriptions

1 Like